England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 13 October 2020



62 vs. Ireland
64 vs. Scotland

Monday, 28 March 1898
Home International Championship 1897-98 (15th) Match

Wales 0 England 3 [0-1]

Match Summary
Wales Party

England Party
Team Records

The Racecourse, Mold Road, Wrexham, Denbighshire
Attendance: 6,000 (new record attendance for The Racecourse);
Kick-off 3:35pm GMT

England - Fred Wheldon ('shot in from a free-kick, glancing off Parry' 9, 'kicked a second' 75), Gilbert Smith ('headed in an Athersmith cross' 88)
Results 1891-1900

England won the toss, Wales kicked-off.


Match Summary






Referee - Thomas Robertson
33 (1 December 1864), Torrance, Stirlingshire, Scotland Football Association

Linesmen - Percy Alexander Timbs, 32 (13 June 1865), St. Giles, London, England & Thomas Edward Edwards, Wales

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

Wales Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 5th
Colours: Probably blue and red halves shirts and white shorts
Capt: Caeser Jenkyns Selectors: Team selection chosen by Committee, following a series of trial matches.
Wales Lineup
  Trainer, James 35 7 January 1863 G Preston North End FC, England 18 64 GA
  Parry, Charles F. 28 early 1870 RB Newtown FC 13 0
  Arridge, Smart 25 21 June 1872
born in Sunderland
LB New Brighton Tower FC, England 7 0
  Taylor, John 23 summer 1874 RH Wrexham AFC 1 0
  Jenkyns, Caeser A.L. 31 24 August 1866 CH Walsall FC, England 8 1
  Jones, John L. 31/32 early 1866 LH Tottenham Hotspur FC, England 12 0
  Meredith, William H. 23 30 July 1874 OR Manchester City FC, England 9 4
  Bartley, Thomas 23 summer 1874 IR Glossop North End FC, England 1 0
  Morgan-Owen, Morgan M. 21 20 February 1877 CF Oxford University AFC & Corinthians FC, England 4 2
  Watkins, Alfred E. 19 26 June 1878 IL Leicester Fosse FC, England 2 0
  James, Edwin 28 spring 1869 OL Chirk AAA FC 7 1


reserves not known

team notes:

The advertised team a week before this match had Swindon Town FC's Grenville Morris at outside-left. At some point through the following week, his place went to Edwin James, as Morris was unable to make the journey.
2-3-5 Trainer -
Parry, Arridge -
Taylor, Jenkyns, Jones -
Meredith, Bartley, Morgan-Owen, Watkins, Morris


Age 26.1 Appearances/Goals 7.5 0.7


England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 1st
Colours: White jerseys and navy blue knickerbockers
Capt: Gilbert Smith, sixth, possibly seventh captaincy Selectors: The seven-man FA International Selection Committee, on Saturday, 19 March 1898 at The Crystal Palace, London, following the Sheriff of London Charity Shield match.
32nd match, W 25 - D 4 - L 3 - F 129 - A 28.
England Lineup
  Robinson, John W. 27 22 April 1870 G New Brighton Tower FC 4 4 GA
  Oakley, William J. 24 27 April 1873 RB Corinthians FC 9 0
  Williams, William 22 20 January 1876 LB West Bromwich Albion FC 3 0
  Perry, Thomas H. 26 August 1871 RH West Bromwich Albion FC 1 0
  Booth, Thomas E. 23 25 April 1874 CH Blackburn Rovers FC 1 0
  Needham, Ernest 25 21 January 1873 LH Sheffield United FC 6 1
  Athersmith Harper, W. Charles 25 10 May 1872 OR Aston Villa FC 6 2
  Goodall, John 34 19 June 1863 IR Derby County FC 14 11 or 12
Smith, Gilbert O. 25 25 November 1872 CF Old Carthusians AFC & Corinthians FC 12 6
Wheldon, G. Frederick 28 1 November 1869 IL Aston Villa FC 3 5
  Spiksley, Frederick 28 25 January 1870 OL Wednesday FC 6 7


reserves not known

team notes:

Fred Wheldon's goal appears to be the first ever scored direct from a free-kick by England.
2-3-5 Robinson -
Oakley, Williams -
Perry, Booth, Needham -
Athersmith, Goodall, Smith, Wheldon, Spiksley


Age 26.1 Appearances/Goals 5.9 2.6-2.7


    Match Report

Yesterday, at Wrexham, England defeated Wales decisively by three goals to none. The result hardly represents the difference between the teams, and probably on a more suitable ground the Englishmen's superiority would have been much more manifest. At all points of the game they were much the stronger. The Association game does not yet seem to arouse much enthusiasm in Wales, and the crowd of about 5,000 people included a good proportion of visitors from the neighbouring English counties. As far as concerned England the game was primarily of importance as the final trial before their match with Scotland next Saturday, and the performance of the Englishmen gave such satisfaction that only three changes have been deemed necessary, and these in places where yesterday's side obviously needed strengthening...

...Wheldon scoring the only goal when play had been in progress about ten minutes...

...to within 15 minutes of time England had failed to increase their lead, but then Wheldon shot a second goal, and just before the close G. O. Smith headed a third. - The Times - Tuesday 29th March, 1898

    Football League


Football League Division Two
28 March 189
Team P Pts
Burnley 27 45
Newcastle United 26 40
Manchester City 25 33
Woolwich Arsenal 26 32
Luton Town 26 28
Gainsborough Trinity 24 28
Newton Heath 24 27
Small Heath 24 27
Leicester Fosse 25 25
Walsall 27 24
Grimsby Town 26 23
Burton Swifts 25 17
Blackpool 24 16
Lincoln City 27 16
Darwen 26 14
Loughborough 24 11


Division Two match played on 28 March 1898:

Ross 5, Morrison, Toman, Taylor, Ferguson (Roulston, Pegg 2)
 400 (Turf Moor, Burnley)


Burnley swept aside their struggling opponents with a club record scoreline that still stands today. This clinched their place in the test matches, where they were to win promotion in controversial circumstances by engineering a goalless draw at Stoke which also ensured that the home side would escape relegation. As it transpired, however, both divisions were extended at the end of the season and all four teams in the test matches were placed in the First Division. Meanwhile, Loughborough were re-elected after finishing bottom.














It was on 27 March 1898 that the SS Greenland arrived back at St John's in Newfoundland having lost 48 lives on the annual seal-hunting expedition. 154 men were left stranded on the ice in a storm when the ship became icebound. Six men survived for two nights before they were rescued. The severe frostbite meant that some of the survivors needed amputations, but it took the ship another four days to get home. It almost sank in another storm on its return. Only 25 bodies were recovered.

Source Notes

Welsh Football Data Archive
Original newspaper reports 
Rothmans Yearbooks
FA Yearbooks 1950-60