England Football Online
Results 1872-90                      Page Last Updated 8 July 2022


29 vs. Ireland
30 vs. Wales

previous match
(322 days)
31 vs. Scotland
next match (42 days)
33 vs. Scotland
34 vs. Ireland
35 vs. Wales
Saturday, 4 February 1888
Home International Championship 1887-88 (5th) Match

Wales 1 England 5 [1-1]
Despite being played on English soil, this was still a Welsh home match, for revenue purposes.


Alexandra Recreation Ground, Nantwich Road, Crewe, Cheshire
moved from The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham

Kick-off (GMT): 'three minutes after three'.
Attendance: 'estimated at about 5,000'; 'the presence of about 6,000 spectators'; 'fully 6,000 people attended'; '7,000 being present'; 'between 7,000 and 8,000 people'.

Jack Doughty kicked-off England won the toss
[0-0] Bob Roberts scores free-kick: disallowed

Jack Doughty 17
 'Moon had injudiciously left his goal open to the attack of Doughty'
[0-0] Tinsley Lindley hits crossbar
[0-1] Fred Dewhurst 16
'Hodgetts passed to Dewhurst'

England's fiftieth goal as an away team
  some sources state the final goal was John Goodall's,
but Sporting Life, Wrexham Advertiser, The Guardian etc disagree
[1-2] Fred Dewhurst 70
'Hodgetts ran up the left'
offside was appealed - but goal allowed to stand

[1-3] George Woodhall 76
'scored a beauty from the extreme right'
again offside was appealed - but goal allowed to stand  

England's 100th goal
[1-4] Tinsley Lindley 77-89
[1-5] Fred Dewhurst 90
'from a pass by Woodhall'
"The first International match of the season, England v. Wales, will be played on the Crewe Alexandra ground next Saturday. Wrexham was first fixed as the venue for the game, but in past years the Welsh Association have received such poor support from the followers of the game in their own country that they have decided to try their luck on foreign soil." - The Lancashire Evening Post, Saturday, 28 January 1888.

Match Summary

Officials [umpires and referees are of equal relevance]


Team Records


Umpires The selection procedure was turning chaotic as seventy-plus players were turning up for trial games, making the process a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare for Charles Alcock and his team. In its place is the International Select Committee.  Comprising of seven men, they announce the team on the basis of who has won the most votes at the end of limited trials.
Charles Crump
45 (15 December 1840), Kingsland
Birmingham & District FA President
John Sinclair

32 (27 August 1855), Belfast (Irish FA) (P 4 W 1 D 1 L 2 F 8 A 6)
The 1887 International Football Association Board meeting:
"That a British subject born abroad shall be eligible to play for his fathers nationality" was unanimously adopted.

Wales Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 5th
Colours: Red collared shirts, white shorts, black socks
Capt: Alf Davies Selectors: Team selection chosen by Committee, following a series of trial matches, on Wednesday, 25 January 1888.
Wales Lineup
  Mills-Roberts, Dr Robert H. 25
183 days
5 August 1862 G

Merionethshire FC, Preston North End FC & Corinthians FC, both England

6 29 GA
  Davies, Dr. Alfred O. 25 early 1863 RB

Barmouth FC & Swifts FC, England

6 0
  Powell, John 27
316 days
25 March 1860 LB

Druids FC & Newton Heath LYR FC, England

13 0
  Roberts, Robert 23/24 1864 RHB

Druids FC & Bolton Wanderers FC, England

3 0
  Davies, Joseph E. 23
207 days
12 July 1864 CHB

Druids FC & Newton Heath LYR FC, England

1 0
  Griffiths, Peter 25 summer 1862 LHB

Chirk AAA FC

3 0
  Challen, John B. 24
315 days
26 March 1863 OR

Ruthin FC, Swifts FC & Corinthians FC, both England

3 0
  Pryce-Jones, William E. 20
37 days
29 December 1867 IR

Newtown FC & Cambridge University AFC, England

2 0
Doughty, John 22 October 1865 CF

Druids FC & Newton Heath LYR FC, England

4 1
  Owen, William 24/25 1862 IL

Chirk AAA FC

4 1
  Lewis, William 23/24 1864 OL

Bangor FC

6 2


not known

team notes:

possibly the oldest team to face England thus far.
formation Mills-Roberts -
A.Davies, Powell -
J.Davies, Griffiths -
Challen, Pryce-Jones, Doughty, Owen, Lewis


Age 23/24 Appearances/Goals 4.6 0.3


England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 2nd
Colours: "The Whites..."  White shirts, navy blue knickerbockers
Capt: Tinsley Lindley
(first (4) captaincy)
Selectors: The seven-man FA International Selection Committee, on Monday, 23 January 1888 at The Albion Hotel, Market Street, Manchester (below), following the trial game.
1st match, W 1 - D 0 - L 0 - F 5 - A 1.
(M.P. Betts, J.Henderson, R.P. Gregson, N.L. Jackson, W.H. Jope, R.J. Smith and Officers)
England Lineup
140   Moon, William R. 19
242 days
7 June 1868 G

Old Westminsters AFC & Corinthians FC

1    1 GA
  Howarth, Robert H. 22
229 days
20 June 1865 RB Preston North End FC 2        0
  Mason, Charles 24
309 days
1 April 1863 LB

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

2        0
141   Saunders, Frank E. 23
162 days
26 August 1864 RHB

Swifts FC & Corinthians FC

1 0 only app
142   Allen, Harry 22
16 days
19 January 1866 CHB

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

1        0
143   Holden-White, Cecil H. 27
93 days
3 November 1860 LHB

Swifts FC, Clapham Rovers FC & Corinthians FC

1        0
144 England's hundredth goal Woodhall, George 24
152 days
5 September 1863 OR

West Bromwich Albion FC

1        1
 twentieth player to score on debut
145   Goodall, John 24
230 days
19 June 1863 IR Preston North End FC 1        0
Lindley, Tinsley 22
100 days
27 October 1865 CF

Nottingham Forest FC, Cambridge University AFC & Corinthians FC

7        9
Dewhurst, Frederick 24
50 days
16 December 1863 IL

Preston North End FC & Corinthians FC

6        8
eighth hattrick scored by England
146   Hodgetts, H. Dennis 24
68 days
28 November 1863 OL

Aston Villa FC

1        0
reserves: Herby Arthur (Blackburn Rovers FC), Tom Wardle (Stoke FC), Jack Keenan (Burnley FC), Charlie Shelton (Notts County FC), Bill Townley (Blackburn Rovers FC), Jem Bayliss (West Bromwich Albion FC) and Arthur Dunn (Old Etonians AFC), as well as the three below that were called into the first eleven.
team notes: In the original line-up, Arthur Walters (Old Carthusians AFC) was the captain and right-back, his place going to reserve Bob Howarth. Left-half Jimmy Forrest's (Blackburn Rovers FC) place went to reserve Cecil Holden-White, and forward Neville Cobbold's (Old Carthusians AFC) place going Fred Dewhurst, as arranged prior to the match. Reserve John Goodall, took up Dewhurst's vacant position at inside-right.
2-3-5 Moon -
Howarth, Mason -
Saunders, Allen, Holden-White -
Woodhall, Goodhall, Lindley, Dewhurst, Hodgetts


Age 23 years 217 days Appearances/Goals 2.2    1.2


Match Report - South Wales Daily News, Monday, 6 February 1888 In Other News.....

The annual meeting of the representatives of England and Wales at Crewe was favoured with a mildness of temperature unusual for this season of the year, and the ground of the Alexandra Football Club, it is needless to say, was in splendid condition. There was present a large crowd, and the teams were strictly in accordance with the revised list published two or three days ago. Doughty kicked off in behalf of Wales. After 16 minutes of fairly even play, Dewhurst scored for England, Lindley having just previously struck the bar. The ball had no sooner been restarted than the Welshmen, nettled by their reverse, became aggressive, and barely a minute had elapsed before Moon injudiciously left the goal open to the attack of Doughty, who equalised amidst loud and protracted cheering. Soon after the kick off from the centre, the Welshmen assumed an aggressive attitude, during which a couple of corners were gained. The Englishmen now had a turn, and corner kicks fell to them without avail. Shortly before ends were changed, Mills-Roberts most brilliantly saved a shot from Goodall, the Welshmen, whilst prostrated, diverting the ball from its course. Score at half-time 1 goal each. Lindley restarted for England, whereupon Hodgetts ran brilliantly up the left, and centred only to find Davies in the way, while such goal keeping as that exhibited by Mills-Roberts has not been seen for many a long day. A couple of corners again fell to England, but nothing came of them, and although the Welshmen were pressed, the defence of their backs were superb, Davies being especially brilliant. Again Hodgetts ran up on the left, and 25 minutes from the re-start Dewhurst succeeded in giving England the lead. The Whites were now decidedly having the best of play, for six minutes later Woodhall scored with a clinking shot. Later on Lindley scored, and just on the call of time Dewhurst, from a pass by Woodhall, scored, England winning by 5 goals to 1 goal. 

Renton thrashed Cambuslang, 6-1, at Hampden Park, to record the biggest ever victory in a Scottish Cup Final.

It was on 3 February 1888 that two Americans, Thomas Callan and Michael Harkins were sentenced to 15 years in prison for possession of dynamite at a house in London.

The excellent cricket ground of the Alexandra club at Crewe was selected by the Welsh Association for the decision of their international match with England last Saturday. The game had been anticipated with great interest, and between 7,000 and 8,000 people were present...
Good defence was shown by Davies and Mills-Roberts, but the latter was eventually beaten by a shot by Dewhurst, who scored the first goal. Immediately on resuming the Welsh forwards attacked, and, amid applause, Doughty kicked a goal for them, thus bringing the score level...
Some time elapsed before Dewhurst secured a second goal for England. A long shot by Woodhall soon gave them a third. Lindley finished up a lengthy run by scoring a fourth goal and Goodall added a fifth... - The Times, Monday, 6 February 1888.

Source Notes
Cris Freddi: Football Historian
Welsh Football Data Archive
Nick Gibbs' England: The Football Facts
Rothmans Yearbooks
Original newspaper reports