England Football Online
Results 1960-1965                    Page Last Updated 9 September 2022 Cymru
335 vs. Wales

previous senior match
(28 days)
344 vs. Spain
previous match
(21 days)
'U23' 25 vs. Italy


(19 days)
Party for Lilleshall
Party for Anfield (75 days)
next match
(77 days)
'U23' 26 vs. Wales
next senior match (143 days)
346 vs. Scotland
352 vs. Wales

Wednesday, 23 November 1960
Home International Championship 1960-61 (66th) Match

England 5 Wales 1
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley, Middlesex
Kick-off (GMT): 2.30pm
Attendance: '65,000'; Receipts: '£29,000'.
  Ken Leek kicked off
[1-0] Jimmy Greaves 2
 'Bobby Smith's square pass found Greaves, who shot into the goal from an angle.'
[1-0] Ron Flowers 20yd strike hit crossbar 20
[2-0] Bobby Charlton 21
 'a 25yd shot by Flowers was deflected by Jimmy Greaves into the path of Charlton, who cracked it in.'
[3-0] Bobby Smith header 32
 'Jimmy Greaves flashed over a beautiful centre for Smith to head in.'
2.43-3.5 Schools: The British Isles 3.20 Books To Enjoy (A Traveller in Time)
3.45 Football: England vs. Wales
4.45 Small Time: Musical Box 5.0 A to Zoo: F for Fingers & Toes 5.25 Cisco Kid
[3-0] Jimmy Greaves heads against the post
[4-0] Johnny Haynes 60
 'took a pass from Bobby Charlton and from a difficult angle on the left, the ball flew into the net.'
[4-0] Bobby Smith scores disallowed: foul 68

[5-0] Jimmy Greaves 70
 'picked up the ball in midfield and ran, he was fouled and challenged but still screwed the ball into the goal.'

[5-1] Ken Leek volley 75
'Hodgkinson failed to hold Phil Woosnam's left sided cross. The ball dropped to Leek, who blasted it into the net.'
This week's Music Charts

second half live only on Granada, also final 25 minutes on TWW - commentator: Gerry Loftus and Kent Walton
second half also live on the Light Programme (3.00pm-4.15pm)
Officials from Scotland England UK ruling on substitutes Wales
Referee (black)
Robert Holley Davidson
32 (19 July 1928), Airdrie
The teams were presented to The Rt Hon. The Lord Mayor of London Alderman Sir Bernard Waley-Cohen
orange flag             Linesmen          flame flag
Robert Duncan Henderson
J.L. Kay
England Team
Rank No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 7th to 6th
Colours The 1959 Bukta home uniform - White v-necked short-sleeved continental jerseys, blue shorts, red/blue/white hooped socks.
tenth match, W 5 - D 2 - L 3 - F 30 - A 17.

Johnny Haynes Manager Walter Winterbottom, 47 (31 March 1913), appointed as FA national director of coaching/team manager on 8 July 1946;
sixth of 22, W 4 - D 0 - L 2 - F 23 - A 10. Trainer: Harold Shepherdson 119th match, W 67 - D 28 - L 24 - F 330 - A 172, one abandoned.
²   Winterbottom's twentieth victory at the Empire Stadium (31 matches)
The team chosen by the Selection Committee, headed by Joe Richards, on Wednesday, 16 November
England Lineup
  one change from the previous match (Hodgkinson>Springett) league position (19 November)  
  Hodgkinson, Alan 24
99 days
16 August 1936 G Sheffield United FC (FL2 TOP) 5 5ᵍᵃ
final app 1957-60
2 Armfield, James C. 25
63 days
21 September 1935 RB Blackpool FC (FL bottom) 12 0
5 Swan, Peter 24
46 days
8 October 1936 RHB Sheffield Wednesday FC (FL 2nd) 7 0
6 Flowers, Ronald 26
118 days
28 July 1934 LHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (FL 6th) 19 2
3 McNeil, Michael 20
290 days
7 February 1940 LB Middlesbrough FC (FL2 6th) 4 0
4 Robson, Robert W. 27
279 days
18 February 1933 RM West Bromwich Albion FC (FL 16th) 11 2
Haynes, John N. 26
37 days
17 October 1934 LM Fulham FC (FL 7th) 40 16
the sixth & youngest player to reach the 40-app milestone
7 Douglas, Bryan 26
180 days
27 May 1934 OR Blackburn Rovers FC (FL 8th) 18 4

Greaves, James P. 20
277 days
20 February 1940 IR Chelsea FC (FL 17th) 11 10
the 204th (71st post-war) brace scored
Smith, Robert A. 27
275 days
22 February 1933 IL Tottenham Hotspur FC (FL TOP) 4 6
Charlton, Robert 23
43 days
11 October 1937 OL Manchester United FC (FL 20th) 22 18
unused substitute: Brian Miller (Burnley FC (FL 3rd))
pre-match notes: On Monday, 21st November, the England party arrived late for training at Cheshunt and so only had a twenty-minute each-way practice match against Tottenham Hotspur, in which the hosts ran out 4-2 victors (Terry Dyson hattrick and Les Allen for Spurs, Bobby Smith and Jimmy Greaves for England). In what appeared to be a shambolic and rainy day, Bobby Charlton had missed his train, and Tottenham's Johnny Smith deputised. The match finished in near-darkness.
Walter Winterbottom explained the lateness: "It wasn't until this morning I discovered we were playing at Cheshunt and not at White Hart Lane."
Tuesday's training at Cheshunt included a match between defence and attack.
team notes: It was only sprained knee ligaments on goalkeeper Ron Springett that enforced England's first changed side of the season. Springett injured his knee in the Inter-League match between the Italian League and the Football League.
It means that Alan Hodgkinson becomes the seventieth player to have made seventeen-or-more post-war England appearances, as well as under the management of Walter Winterbottom and the selection of the ISC.
In the same period, both Mick McNeil and Bobby Smith become the eightieth players to have made four-or-more England appearances.
goalscorer records: Jimmy Greaves ends 1960 as top goalscorer for the calendar year. Nat Lofthouse in 1952 was the last player to score nine goals in a single year. Not since 1922 has there been no new goalscorers to the list, and not since 1946 has only five separate goalscorers been responsible for all of the goals that year.
4-2-4 Hodgkinson -
Armfield, Swan, Flowers, McNeil -
Robson, Haynes -
Douglas, Greaves, Smith, Charlton.


Age 24 years 289 days Appearances/Goals 13.9 4.8


Wales Team

Rank No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 19th to 22nd
Colours Made by Umbro - Red continental jerseys with white v-neck collars/cuffs, white shorts with red side stripe, red socks with white tops.
Captain Vic Crowe Manager James Patrick Murphy, 50 (8 August 1910), also assistant manager at Manchester United FC.
Team chosen by International Selection Committee
on Monday, 14 November in Shrewsbury.
Wales Lineup
  Kelsey, A. John 31
4 days
19 November 1929 G Arsenal FC, England 32 49ᵍᵃ
2 Harrington, Alan C. 27
6 days
17 November 1933 RB Cardiff City FC 9 0
3 Williams, Graham E. 22
235 days
2 April 1938 LB West Bromwich Albion FC, England 4 0
4 Crowe, Victor H. 28
297 days
31 January 1932 RHB Aston Villa FC, England 7 0
5 Nurse, Melvyn T.G. 23
43 days
11 October 1937 CHB Swansea Town FC 5 0
6 Baker, Colin W. 25
180 days
18 December 1934 LHB Cardiff City FC 6 0
7 Medwin, Terence C. 28
59 days
25 September 1932 OR Tottenham Hotspur FC, England 27 5
Woosnam, Philip A. 27
180 days
22 December 1932 IR West Ham United FC, England 8 2
Leek, Kenneth 25
120 days
26 July 1935 CF Leicester City FC, England 2 1
10 Vernon, T.Royston 23
223 days
14 April 1937 IL Everton FC, England 13 2
11 Jones, Clifford W. 25
290 days
7 February 1935 OL Tottenham Hotspur FC, England 29 6
reserve: Brian Hughes (Swansea Town FC)
team notes: Jack Kelsey is the goalkeeper with the most international appearances in British football.
2-3-5 Kelsey -
Harrington, Williams -
Crowe, Nurse, Baker -
Medwin, Woosnam, Leek, Vernon, Jones


Age 26 years 113 days Appearances/Goals 12.9 1.4


              Match Report by Mike Payne

ENGLAND'S march continued! This was their fourth consecutive high-scoring victory and was achieved with an ease which suggested that there were more to come.

As against Spain a month earlier, England got off to a flyer with an early goal. Two minutes had gone when a good move down the middle involving Johnny Haynes, Bobby Robson and Bobby Smith ended with Jimmy Greaves shooting past Kelsey to put his team one goal up.

After that, although Wales enjoyed their fair share of possession, England calmly and methodically took the match by the throat. Haynes was always at the heart of the action, keeping things moving swiftly. Robson, too, did some fine work and with Greaves, Smith, Bobby Charlton and Bryan Douglas always dangerous, England stayed well in control.

Their finishing, as so often in recent matches, was lethal and after 16 minutes they added a second goal. Another flowing move preceeded it, with Robson, Ron Flowers and Douglas all prominent. When Douglas set up Flowers 20 yards out, the Wolves man hit a screamer which crashed down off the crossbar. Charlton was first to react and quickly dispatched the rebound into Kelsey's net.

The 4-2-4 formation used by England was again working perfectly and whilst Haynes and Robson were in such great form, it would remain very effective. Soon the home side were adding a third goal. This time the move went the whole length of the field with Mick McNeil feeding Charlton from his own penalty area. Charlton moved the ball on to Greaves, who made ground down the left before centering for Smith to crash home an unstoppable header.

Wales were now virtually out of the game and at half-time they could only reflect that Woosnam had shown a lot of class in all that he did, although he received little support. Leek was well held by Peter Swan, Jones only occasionally threatened with his pace and Vernon was stifled in midfield. The Welsh half-back line was very ineffective.

After the interval, England continued to hold all the aces. In the 61st minute they scored their fourth goal. Lovely inter-play down the left between Haynes and Charlton ended with Haynes shooting fiercely past Kelsey with his right foot. That goal capped a marvellous performance by the England skipper.

Nine minutes later, Greaves scored a magnificent fifth goal. Picking the ball up following a four-man move, he strode majestically past several desperate Welsh challenges before finishing with a devastating shot from an almost impossible angle. The goal brought the crowd to their feet. Indeed, the quality of all the goals had been a feature of the match.

Near the end, Wales did manage a consolation goal after Alan Hodgkinson had dropped a high cross from Woosnam straight to the feet of Leek, who made no mistake from close range. That was an annoying end for England in an otherwise faultless display.


              Match Report by Norman Giller

Jinking Jimmy Greaves scored the first of his two goals in the second minute and Wales were never allowed to recover from this jolting start. The five-goal haul took England's total to twenty-three in four matches. Injury to Ron Springett forced Walter Winterbottom's first team change for four matches, and the recalled Alan Hodgkinson gave a sound display at the back of an England defence that was rarely under pressure. England were comfortable with their 4-2-4 formation, which worked so well because of the midfield understanding of Johnny Haynes and Bobby Robson.

              Match Report by Glen Isherwood

Wales returned to Wembley after two draws in their previous meetings with England and a World Cup quarter-final appearance in 1958 when they were beaten by the eventual winners Brazil. Both sides had won their opening game. Wales defeated Scotland 2-0 at Ninian Park while England beat Northern Ireland 5-2 at Windsor Park. England and Wales had shared the Championship with Scotland the previous season, but England were aiming for a tenth successive title. They had not won it outright, however, since 1957.
As against Spain, England took an early lead. After two minutes, from a pass by Smith, Jimmy Greaves shot past Kelsey in the Welsh goal. Soon they were two up. Flowers shot from outside the box. Williams blocked it but Bobby Charlton swept home the rebound. By the half-hour mark the Welsh were killed off. An inch-perfect cross from Greaves was smartly headed in by Bobby Smith. Johnny Haynes thumped in the fourth after good work by Charlton before they scored the best goal when Greaves beat four men and then Kelsey from an acute angle. With 15 minutes remaining Hodgkinson gifted the Welsh a goal when he dropped a Woosnam cross and Ken leek seized on the opportunity. It mattered little, however.
Wales thrashed Northern Ireland 5-1 at Windsor Park to finish runners-up but failed to qualify for the 1962 World Cup when they lost to Spain. England had now scored 23 goals in four games. Scotland were to be their next unfortunate victims as England actually increased their scoring rate.


              Match Report as appears in the F.A. Yearbook 1961-62 page 39

Springett was unable to play in goal owing to injury and Hodgkinson took his place. England maintained their improved form to gain their fourth successive victory in two months. A crowd of 65,000 at Wembley saw the Welsh team play with all their usual fire and sustain long spells of attacking, but they were unable to match the finishing power of the England attack. Just as he had against Spain, Greaves struck a vital blow by scoring in the second minute, following a move which involved Haynes, Robson, and Smith. Using the 4-2-4 formation which they had used effectively in previous matches, with Robson and Haynes acting as the linkmen, the England team went further ahead went Charlton scored following a fierce drive from Flowers from twenty yards. England added a third goal before halftime through Smith and in the second half brought the total to five, when Haynes scored in the sixteenth minute following a slick passing movement  with Charlton, and in the twenty-fifth minute when Greaves beat Kelsey with a great goal after a weaving attack. Wales's consolation goal came when Hodgkinson drooped Woosnam's centre and Leek took it over the line.

Other Football Results   
Football League Cup Third Round
Chesterfield 0 Leeds United 4
 Saltersgate, Chesterfield (2,021)

McCole, Cameron (pen), Bremner, Peyton
Everton 3 Bury 1
Goodison Park, Liverpool (20,724)
Wignall (2), J.Harris ~ Jackson
Roy Vernan was representing Wales
Rotherham United 2 Bristol Rovers 0
Millmoor, Rotherham (10,912)
Kettleborough, Kirkman
Football League Cup Third Round Replay
Aston Villa 3 Preston North End 1
 Villa Park, Birmingham (20,000)

Hitchens, Wylie, MacEwan ~ Thompson
Vic Crowe was representing Wales
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Quarter Final First Leg
Kjøbenhavns Bk 4 Birmingham City 4
Idrætsparken, Kjøbenhavn (25.000)
Ravn, Clausen (2), Torstensen
~ Gordon
(2), Singer (2)
              Post-Match News by Peter Wilson, as appears in the Daily Mirror, Saturday, 26 November 1960.

IT is generally accepted that the current England Soccer XI may be one of the best we have produced for years. But what a pawky preparation they are to have, as a team, during the rest of the current season.
Yesterday the Football Association issued a statement that clubs supplying players for the current international side have been asked to allow their players to participate in the following training sessions:—
   1—At the National Recreation Centre, Lilleshall, on Monday, December 12.
   2—At Southport, on Monday, February 6, 1961, for training with the Under-23 team prior to the Under-23 match against Wales at Everton on February 8.
   3—In London on Monday, March 13, 1961, for training with the Under-23 team prior to the Under-23 match with West Germany on March 15. (Players whose clubs are involved in F.A. Cup semi-final ties would not be considered).
   The team also gets together four days vefore April 15, the date of the Scottish match at Wembley and then on May 3, 8 and 15. May 8 being two days before the match against Mexico at Wembley and May 15, six days before the match in Lisbon against Portugal.
   The F.A. called in Stanley Cullis, manager of Wolves and former England captain, and Billy Wright, former Wolves and England captain, to discuss the situation with Walter Winterbottom, England team manager, Ron Greenwood, Under-23 team manager, the selectors, and Sir Stanley Rous, the F.A. secretary.


              Source Notes
Original newspaper reports
Official Matchday Programme
Wales' Complete Who's Who since 1946
  Rothman's Yearbooks
Mike Payne's England: The Complete Post-War Record
Norman Giller, Football Author
The Complete Book of the British Charts
British Pathé