England Football Online
Page Last Updated 11 January 2018
289 Party vs. Switzerland
291 Party vs. Northern Ireland

Saturday, 26 June 1954
World Cup 1954 Finals Second Phase

Uruguay 4 England 2 [2-1]

Match Summary
Uruguay Party
England Party

Team Records


The England World Cup Finals Party Pre-Uruguay  June 1954
Player Birthdate Age Pos Club starts subs App G Capt
19. Armstrong, Kenneth 3 June 1924 29 RHB Chelsea FC 0 0 0 0 0
Armstrong was added to the squad on 9 June as a stay-at-home reserve
8. Broadis, Ivan A. 18 December 1922 31 IR Newcastle United FC 13 0 13 8 0
12. Burgin, Edward 29 April 1927 27 G Sheffield United FC 0 0 0 0 GA 0
3. Byrne, Roger W. 8 September 1929 24 LB Manchester United FC 5 0 5 0 0
18. Chilton, Allenby 16 September 1918 35 CHB Manchester United FC 2 0 2 0 0
Chilton was added to the squad on 9 June as a stay-at-home reserve
6. Dickinson, James W. 24 April 1924 30 LHB Portsmouth FC 37 0 37 0 0
11. Finney, Thomas 5 April 1922 32 OR

Preston North End FC

53 0 53 23 0
13. Green, Kenneth 27 April 1924 30 RB Birmingham City FC 0 0 0 0 0
21. Haynes, John N. 17 October 1934 19 IL Fulham FC 0 0 0 0 0
Haynes was added to the squad on 9 June as a stay-at-home reserve
22. Hooper, Harry 14 June 1933 20 OR West Ham United FC 0 0 0 0 0
Hooper was added to the squad on 9 June as a stay-at-home reserve
20. Jezzard, Bedford A.G. 15 January 1929 25 CF Fulham FC 1 0 1 0 0
Jezzard was added to the squad on 9 June as a stay-at-home reserve
9. Lofthouse, Nathaniel 27 August 1925 28 CF Bolton Wanderers FC 20 0 20 22 0
14. McGarry, William H. 10 June 1927 26 RHB Huddersfield Town AFC 1 0 1 0 0
7. Matthews, Stanley 1 February 1915 39 OR Blackpool FC 37 0 37 10 0
1. Merrick, Gilbert H. 26 January 1922 32 G Birmingham City FC 22 0 22 41 GA 0
17. Mullen, James 6 January 1923 31 OL Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 11 1 12 6 0
5. Owen, Sydney W. 29 September 1922 31 CHB Luton Town AFC 3 0 3 1 0
16. Quixall, Albert 9 August 1933 20 IF Sheffield Wednesday FC 3 0 3 0 0
2. Staniforth, Ronald 13 April 1924 30 RB Huddersfield Town AFC 5 0 5 0 0
10. Taylor, Thomas 29 January 1932 22 IL Manchester United FC 5 0 5 2 0
15. Wilshaw, Dennis J. 11 March 1926 28 IL Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 2 0 2 3 0
5. Wright, William A. 6 February 1924 30 RHB

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

60 0 60 3 45

All information is complete to and including England's last match, the seventh of the 1953-54 season, against Hungary on 23 May 1954.


Monday, 31 May 1954 - The Football Association did not nominate the names of the World Cup party as expected. Instead they announced the names of 25 players, who have been called for training at the Bank of England Sports Ground in Roehampton for the next two days. Stan Matthews and Tom Finney were intended to join the party, but Matthews is resting following a club tour of the continent with Blackpool FC, and Finney is under treatment for a thigh injury. Both will still be considered when the final selection of 22 players is submitted to FIFA before 8 June.

Tuesday, 1 June 1954 - 25 of the 24 players begin training in Roehampton. The missing player is Albert Quixall, who has just returned from Germany and will join the party later in the day. The weather was well suited for training, being cold and dull. The players ran round the ground before lunch. Before changing for their practice match, most of the players had a spell in the cricket nets, Ted Burgin receiving an injury to his hand, but soon recovered. In the absence of Stan Matthews and Tom Finney, West Ham United's Harry Hooper was asked to attend to help in the practice match, as was Portsmouth's Jack Mansell. The forward line for The Whites which played in front of the recognised England defence was Harris, Broadis, Lofthouse, Taylor and Mullen. After 45 minutes, Hooper replaced Harris and Haynes replaced Taylor. Chilton was the centre-half for The Blues, whose forward line consisted of Hooper, Sewell, Jezzard, Haynes and Wilshaw. Ball, Quixall, Mansell, Armstrong and Bradford, all joined in after the interval. Hooper scored the only goal in the first half for The Blues, Mullen and Broadis scored for The Whites in the second half. At the end of the day, Peter Harris went home, suffering from influenza.

Wednesday, 2 June 1954 - For England's second practice match at Roehampton, Billy Wright is played as a centre-half for The Whites. Opposing Jezzard, Wright showed why his club frequently include him in the middle. The Blues' Jezzard seldom broke loose despite thoughtful moves by his colleagues. The Blues, containing six of the side that were beaten by Hungary last month, won the game 4-0 (goalscorers were Taylor, Lofthouse, Wilshaw and Hooper). However, the match was reduced to only a half-hour each way. Haynes was prominent in the forward line. Of the 27 players, apart from Peter Harris, who has remained in his sick bed in his London home, Syd Owen and Jimmy Mullen were two only two non-participants. The party then dispersed home.

Thursday, 3 June 1954 - The Football Association has named seventeen players to travel to Switzerland for the World Cup Finals. An FA official stated that 22 names will be submitted to FIFA, and the remaining five players will be announced over the weekend. The match fee's for the Finals are �30 each for the first two games; for the quarter-final �40 each; the semi-final will provide fee's of �50 each. No mention of fee's if England make the Final are made.

Sunday, 6 June 1954 - The five reserves are announced by the selectors. Chilton, Armstrong, Jezzard, Haynes and Hooper, will all train with the seventeen players already selected, but will standby in England, ready to fly to Switzerland if required.

Monday, 7 June 1954 - Stan Matthews and Tom Finney are among the players gathered at Roehampton. However, Syd Owen has developed a sore throat and a temperature, so is missing, as is Jimmy Mullen, who has a slight groin strain. Mullen's injury is expected to improve but a report on Owen is awaited anxiously. Three players who did not make the final sqaud were invited back to take part in training this week, Eric Bell, Geoff Bradford and Stan Willemse. Harry Hooper is due to be called for fourteen days' reserve training with the Armed Forces next weekend. If necessary, the FA will approach the authorities to have his training postponed.
A practice 'locked-gate' match between England and Scotland in Lucerne may now not take place next Tuesday (15th) because Scotland's first match of the Finals is the day after against Austria.

Tuesday, 8 June 1954 - The party began the day at Roehampton by playing a game of rounders, between the over 30's and the under 30's, to sharpen up their speed. The youngsters won before there was a practice match between The Whites and The Reds. With Owen and Mullen still missing, The Whites lined up as Merrick; Staniforth, Byrne; Wright, Chilton, Dickinson; Matthews, Broadis, Lofthouse, Taylor and Finney. The Reds were Burgin; Green, Willemse; McGarry, Armstrong, Bell; Hooper, Quixall, Jezzard, Haynes and Wilshaw. The Reds won 4-2, having lead 3-0 at half-time. Hooper scored twice, along with Jezzard and Wilshaw. Taylor and a Finney penalty scoring for The Whites. At half-time, Wright swapped positions to centre-half. McGarry swapped teams to take up the vacant right-half spot. Chilton becomes centre-half for The Reds with Armstrong to his right. Bradford was brought on to replace Haynes. Emphasis was placed on the 'through pass', with Walter Winterbottom instructing the teams to see how many of these passes they could make in the final fifteen minutes.

Wednesday, 9 June 1954 - The second and final practice match takes place between The Experienced Whites and The Aspirant Reds. Both were as yesterday's line-ups. A 4-0 half time lead is turned into a 6-0 victory. Lofthouse scoring twice, along with Taylor and Dickinson, in the first half. After the same half-time changes as yesterday except for Bradford now replacing Wilshaw, Lofthouse then completed his hat-trick in the second half, with Taylor also getting another. The selectors were not present. Doubts concerning Owen and Mullen were dispelled when their clubs, Luton Town and Wolverhampton Wanderers, reported them fit.

Thursday, 10 June 1954 - Only light training at Roehampton before the party disperse to their homes for the weekend. However, Walter Winterbottom has asked his players to remain in peak condition by training at their club's facilities. The party will reassemble on Sunday evening.

Monday, 14 June 1954 - The England party leave for Lucerne by air from London airport. Their late arrival was stoutly defended by Walter Winterbottom. "We make it a rule never to arrive to soon for a match abroad. That is a decision of our technical committee and we think it is a good one." The players are among the last to arrive. Winterbottom explained that the players like to spend as much time as possible at home with their families.

Tuesday, 15 June 1954 -
"Tributes are being paid to the fact that England had not allowed the Hungarian hidings to alter the way of life-or even the methods of training. While some of the more fancied sides have been careering around the countryside smashing in shoals of goals against second-rate local opposition, the England players are being stolidly conditioned along the age-old lines" - Clifford Webb, The Daily Herald.
The party of seventeen did a few circuits of the training ground before there was a nine-a-side practice match in the afternoon. Walter Winterbottom making up the numbers. The workout, however, sowed no passion and there was no shots at goal. Amazingly, the Scotland party, which also open their World Cup account tommorow, were training on an adjacent pitch.

Wednesday, 16 June 1954 - With Ted Burgin in goal, Tom Finney and Roger Byrne practicising penalty kicks. The Preston man proved the more successful and will take over any spot kick responsibilities that arise in the match tomorrow. The English party then watch the Scotland team lose to Austria at the Hardturn Stadium in Zürich.

Thursday, 17 June 1954 - In a revolutionary move for England, following the fashion taken on by overseas teams, the players are to have a warming-up session half an hour before the game. 
England are then shocked into a 4-4 draw after leading 3-1.
It follows on from Switzerland's surprise win over Italy and has left the final issue of the pool very much open. If England can beat Switzerland on Sunday, they will be assured of reaching the quarter-finals.

Friday, 18 June 1954 - Walter Winterbottom announces that after the exertions of yesterday's match, all seventeen players are fit and there is no reason to call on the reserves from London. However, Nat Lofthouse is sent to bed early with a sore throat.

Saturday, 19 June 1954 - Following a practice match, the England team is named. McGarry replaces Owen, although captain Billy Wright has been moved to the centre, as McGarry comes in on the right and to earn his first cap.

Sunday, 20 June 1954 - The English selectors brought about a last-minute surprise by dropping Lofthouse and Matthews, both unfit, and reshuffling the forward line. Goals by Wolves' men, Mullen and Wilshaw-who formed a last-miute choice left wing-put England at the top of Group Four, and into the quarter-finals of the World Cup. It was a poor, scrappy game, watched by nearly 50,000 in sweltering heat-over 100
�F in the sun at the start. England were just the better of two poor sides, and deserved their win, but the Swiss had some bad luck.

Monday, 21 June 1954 - England are drawn to play Uruguay in the quarter-finals. The party themselves are taking a day off to recover from leg weariness, relaxing at their lakeside hotel in Lucerne. Sid Owen reports himself as fit. While Billy Wright is nursing a bruised eye and a cut above the other. Stan Matthews is still recovering from his toe injury.

Tuesday, 22 June 1954 - The England party are training at Lucerne. Nat Lofthouse reports himself fit after training for the first time since he took ill on Sunday. Stan Matthews sits out training.

Wednesday, 23 June 1954 - Stan Matthews has an early fitness test and particiapted an a light training session with the rest of the party, before they all leave Lucerne. They had been due to leave for Vevey, on the shores of Lake Geneva, near Lausanne, but a last minute change of plan sees them arrive at Rhinefelden, near Basel, by coach, making them closer to their destination on Saturday. They also watch the Italy-Switzerland play-off.

Thursday, 24 June 1954 - The England team have a training match against the local side FC Schaffhausen. Two goals from Nat Lofthouse and one each from Ivor Broadis and Jimmy Mullen secure a 4-0 victory.

Friday, 25 June 1954 - The BBC confirm that the second half of the match will be televised live tomorrow. The England team is also chosen after two days of delays. It has allowed Matthews and Lofthouse to return to the side, in the only two changes to the side that beat Switzerland.

England Form: last six games
L W L L D W  f 14:a 20  success: 42%
284 25 November 1953 - England 3 Hungary 6 [2-4]
Empire Stadium, Wembley
Sewell, Mortensen, Ramsey (pen)
Hidegkuti (3), Puskás (2), Bozsik
285 3 April 1954 - Scotland 2 England 4 [1-1]
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Brown, Ormond
Broadis, Nicholls,
R.Allen, Mullen
286 16 May 1954 - Yugoslavia 1 England 0 [0-0]
Stadion JNA, Beograd
Mitić tour AL
287 23 May 1954 - Hungary 7 England 1 [3-0]
Népstadion, Budapest (92,000)
Lantos, Puskás (2), Kocsis (2), Toth, Hidegkuti
288 17 June 1954 - Belgium 4 England 4 [1-2]
AET [3-3]

Sankt Jakob Stadium, Basel (14,000)
Anoul (2), Coppens, Dickinson OG
Broadis (2), Lofthouse (2)
289 20 June 1954 - England 2 Switzerland 0 [1-0]
Wankdorfstadion, Bern (43,119)
Mullen, Wilshaw AW