England Football Online
Results 1950-1955                          Page Last Updated 26 November 2018


previous matches
250 vs. Wales

259 vs. Ireland

next matches
261 vs. Yugoslavia

266 vs. Wales

Wednesday, 15 November 1950
Home International Championship 1950-51 (56th) Match

England 4 Wales 2 [2-0]


Match Summary
England Party
Wales Party

Roker Park Stadium, Association Road, Sunderland, county Durham
Kick-off (GMT): 2.30pm.

Attendance: 59,137.

England kicked-off Wales won the toss
[1-0] Eddie Baily 31
 flicked the ball up with his right foot and shot with his left
[2-0] Eddie Baily 40

 shot following a move between Mannion and Watson

[3-2] Wilf Mannion 66

 flicked the ball past Hughes after Watson and Milburn created an opening
[4-2] Jackie Milburn 90

 shot from an acute angle

[2-1] Trevor Ford 48
headed the ball in from a Griffiths centre
[2-2] Trevor Ford 71
touched the ball past Williams from a Griffiths pass

Match Summary





Referee (-) - John A. Mowat
x (-), Rutherglen.

Linesmen - Ian C. Inglis, Edinburgh, and William H. Quinn, Dumfries

"The gates will be opened at 12.45 and for the first time in England, the Football Association's new flag, designed by the Heraldry Office, will be flown at Roker Park" - The Sunderland Echo, Tuesday, 14 November 1950

No substitutes permitted, as per UK ruling.

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 4th
Colours: The 1949 home uniform - White collared jerseys, blue shorts, black socks with white tops.
Capt: Alf Ramsey, first captaincy Manager:
Trainer: George Gray (Sunderland AFC)
Walter Winterbottom, 37 (31 March 1913), appointed as FA national director of coaching/team manager on 8 July 1946;
34th match, W 25 - D 3 - L 6 - F 110 - A 36.
Team chosen by Selection Committee headed by Arthur Drewry, on Tuesday, 7 November 1950 in London.
England Lineup
  Williams, Bert F. 30 31 January 1920 G Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 12 13ᵍᵃ
2 Ramsey, Alfred E. 30 22 January 1920 RB Tottenham Hotspur FC 10 0
3 Smith, Lionel 30 23 August 1920 LB Arsenal FC 1 0
4 Watson, Willie 30 7 March 1920 RHB Sunderland AFC 3 0
5 Compton, Leslie H. 38
64 days
12 September 1912 CHB Arsenal FC 1 0
6 Dickinson, James W. 25 24 April 1925 LHB

Portsmouth FC

12 0
7 Finney, Thomas 28 5 April 1922 OR

Preston North End FC

29 18
8 Mannion, Wilfred J. 32 16 May 1918 IR Middlesbrough FC 23 11
9 Milburn, John E.T. 26 11 May 1924 CF Newcastle United FC 9 7
10 Baily, Edward F. 25 6 August 1925 IL Tottenham Hotspur FC 3 4
11 Medley, Leslie D. 30 3 September 1920 OL Tottenham Hotspur FC 1 0


Willie Watson and Nat Lofthouse (Bolton Wanderers). Watson was not replaced.
"The English Selectors will not call upon another reserve. Should the unexpected occur there are enough top-class players in the Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough areas to call upon at the last moment." - The Press and Journal, Tuesday, 14 November 1950.

team notes:

Leslie Compton, aged 38 years and 64 days becomes the oldest outfield England debutant.
Billy Wright (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC), original captain and right-half, was in line to win his record 34th consecutive appearance, until he received a strained back in his team's match against Burnley. Despite treatment, he was withdrawn on Monday, 13th. Watson took his place the day before the match.
Following the debuts of Smith, Compton and Medley, the International Selection Committee, in the Winterbottom era, have now used fifty different players.
England team were set up at the Seaburn Hotel in Whitley Bay and trained on the North Shields ground, prior to this match.
2-3-5 Williams -
Ramsey, Smith -
Watson, Compton, Dickinson -
Finney, Mannion, Milburn, Baily, Medley


Age 29.455 Appearances/Goals 9.5 3.3


Wales Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 25th
Colours: Made by Umbro - Red jerseys with white collars, white shorts, red socks with white tops.
Capt: Wally Barnes Manager: Herbert Powell is in charge of the team. Team chosen on Monday, 30 October 1950
Wales Lineup
  Hughes, Iowerth 25 26 May 1925 G Luton Town FC 1 4ᵍᵃ
2 Barnes, Wallace 30 16 January 1920 RB Arsenal FC, England 12 0
3 Sherwood, Alfred T. 27 13 November 1923 LB Cardiff City FC 15 0
4 Paul, Roy 30 18 April 1920 RHB Manchester City FC, England 11 1
5 Daniel, W. Raymond 22 2 November 1928 CHB Arsenal FC, England 1 0
6 Lucas, William H. 32 15 January 1918 LHB Swansea Town FC 7 0
7 Griffiths, W. Malwyn 31 8 March 1919 OR Leicester City FC, England 7 1
8 Allen, Brynley W. 29 23 March 1921 IR Coventry City FC, England 2 0
9 Ford, Trevor 27 1 October 1923 CF Sunderland AFC, England 16 12
10 Allchurch, Ivor J. 20 16 December 1929 IL Swansea Town FC 1 0
11 Clarke, Royston J. 25 1 June 1925 OL Manchester City FC, England 6 1


Ron Stitfall (Cardiff City). Billy Lucas (Swansea Town FC) was asked to be a travelling reserve a couple of days prior.

team notes:

Prior to this match, the Welsh team were training on Newcastle United's St. James' Park.
On the day of the match, Ron Burgess (Tottenham Hotspur FC) had to withdraw because of injury (swollen right calf muscle), his place going to Lucas, who had been called up as a travelling reserve the day before.
Ray Daniels, the Arsenal FC reserve centre-half, had only played in seven league matches over the past three seasons.
Trevor Ford becomes the first Sunderland player to play for Wales since 1910, thirteen days after signing for the Wearside club. His second goal equals the Welsh goalscoring record of twelve by Billy Lewis.
2-3-5 Hughes -
Barnes, Sherwood -
Paul, Daniel, Lucas -
Griifiths, Allen, Ford, Allchurch, Clarke.


Age 27.1 Appearances/Goals 7.2 1.0


    Match Report by Mike Payne

This was undoubtedly the best Welsh performance against England since the war and the fact that England, at times, had to be at their most brilliant best says it all. On a treachorous surface and on a bitterly cold day, the football served up warmed the crowd to fever pitch as the excitement grew.

Excellent precision passing by Wilf Mannion, Eddie Baily, Jackie Milburn, Les Medley and Tom Finney had given England a bright opening. However, the Welsh terriers were continually snapping at their heels with Daniel, Paul and Lucas working tirelessly in the midfield battle. Gradually though the extra class began to show and three of the four England goals were pure genius.

Wales had the ball in the net on the half-hour but Clarke's shot was ruled out for offside. A few seconds later, England took the lead as a long controlled clearance by Lionel Smith, who had a good game, reached Baily on the edge of the penalty area. The Spurs player flicked the ball up with his right foot and crashed it into the net with his left for a wonderful goal.

The England attack, well prompted by Willie Watson and Jimmy Dickinson, then began to flow superbly. The ball was moving forward quickly and smoothly.

Five minutes before half-time England scored their second. Again it was a shot by Baily that did the trick when he finished off a splendid round of passing by Finney, Mannion, Watson and Mannion again. It seemed that the 2-0 interval lead had put England clear but with Allchurch and Ford showing some tremendous play it was far from over.

Indeed, with only three minutes of the second half gone Wales pulled a goal back. Griffiths put over a fine centre which landed between Leslie Compton and Bert Williams, and before either could react, Ford nipped in smartly to flick the ball in with his head.

It was end to end stuff now as both sides searched for another goal. Ford forced two brilliant saves out of Williams and then Baily saw his 20-yard shot strike the Welsh crossbar. A scramble on the England goal-line almost produced an equalizer before, on 66 minutes, the home side engineered the next crucial goal. Again it was a super strike. Mannion was the man on target this time, cleverly flicking the ball past Hughes after Watson and Milburn had created the opening.

Still Wales refused to lie down and five minutes later it was 3-2. Once more the combination of Griffiths and Ford gave the centre-forward the chance to touch the ball past Williams with the other England defenders off balance. So the excitement continued until the dying seconds, after another flowing move between Finney, Mannion, Baily and Milburn, the England number-nine shot home from an acute angle. That put the final stamp on England's extra quality and authority and was the last action of a magnificent afternoon's football.

    Match Report by Norman Giller

Injured Billy Wright missed his first after 33 successive matches. Alf Ramsey took over as skipper. Eddie Baily, nicknamed the 'Cheeky Chappie' because of his impersonation of comedian Max Miller, repeated his two-goal act. Arsenal centre-half Leslie Compton made his England debut at the age of thirty-eight alongside County cricketing colleague Willie Watson. Leslie remains the oldest player ever to have made an England debut. Les Medley partnered his Tottenham team-mate Baily on the left wing. Lionel Smith, converted from centre-half by Arsenal, came in at left-back. Goalkeeper Bert Williams kept his place in goal to maintain the Wolves record of having at least one player in the England team in every international match since the war. Trevor Ford, playing for Wales in front of his Sunderland fans, scored twice in the second half to give the Welsh the hope of a championship point. It was not until Jackie Milburn scored in the final seconds that England could feel confident that they had the match won.

Source Notes

Original newspaper reports
Rothman's Yearbooks
Mike Payne's England: The Complete Post-War Record (Breedon Books Publishing Company, Derby, U.K., 1993)
Norman Giller
, Football Author
Wales' Complete Who's Who since 1946 (Sutton Publishing Ltd, Stroud, U.K., 2004)
Drew Herbertson, Scottish FA historian