England Football Online
Results 1891-1900                             Page Last Updated 17 August 2020


44 vs. Ireland
45 vs. Wales

previous match (329 days)

46 vs. Scotland
next match (16 days)
48 vs. Wales
49 vs. Scotland
50 vs. Ireland

Saturday, 25 February 1893
Home International Championship 1892-93 (10th) Match

England 6 Ireland 1 [4-1]
England Party
Ireland Party
Team Records

Football League Record

Wellington Road Football Ground, Wellington Road, Perry Barr, Handsworth, Staffordshire
Kick-off (GMT): 'at 3.25.'
Attendance: 'about 7,000 assembled'; 'company numbered from 9,000 to 10,000'; 'about 10,000 assembled'; 'about ten thousand spectators'; 'estimated at 10,000';
Receipts: £
187 1s. 11d.

England won the toss Ireland kicked off
[1-0] Walter Gilliat 8
 'scored from a Sandilands pass'

[2-1] Walter Gilliat 18
 'the ball hitting the upright and bounding thro''

[3-1] Walter Gilliat 30 HAT-TRICK
 'from a pass by Topham, and another good opening'
[3-1] Walter Gilliat scores; disallowed offside - twice
[4-1] Gilbert Smith 43
 'gained another' from a corner
[1-1] George Gaffikin 9
'a fine centre from Small, equalised with a lightning shot'

[3-1] Ireland score; disallowed foul
[4-1] Gilbert Smith hits the crossbar
[5-1] Norman Winckworth 60

 'with a long shot'
[6-1] Rupert Sandilands 75
 'coming away, scored another'
[6-1] George Cotterill scores; disallowed

Match Summary





Thomas Russell Park
31 (4 September 1861), Glasgow, Scotland
The venue at Perry Barr was decided at the FA Council meeting at Chancery Lane, on Wednesday, 8 February 1893. With arrangements spearheaded by William McGregor.
Linesmen The 1892 International Football Association Board meeting:
Law alterations
T. Gunning
Football Association
W.S. Dawson
Irish FA

England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 1st
Colours: White jerseys and navy blue knickerbockers
Capt: George Cotterill
(first (2) captaincy)
Selectors: The seven-man FA International Selection Committee, on Saturday, 18 February 1893 after the Corinthians FC vs. West Bromwich Albion FC match, following trial games.
16th match, W 14 - D 1 - L 1 - F 66 - A 14.
England Lineup
199   Charsley, C. Christopher 28
110 days
7 November 1864 G Small Heath FC 1 1 GA only app
first England player from second tier
200   Harrison, A. Hugh 23
87 days
30 November 1869 RB Old Westminsters AFC & Corinthians FC 1        0
201   Pelly, Frederick R. 23
198 days
11 August 1869 LB Old Foresters AFC & Corinthians FC 1         0
  Smith, Albert 23
217 days
23 July 1869 RHB Nottingham Forest FC 3 0 final app
Winckworth, W. Norman 23
16 days
9 February 1870 CHB Old Westminsters AFC & Corinthians FC 2 1 final app
202   Cooper, Norman Charles 22
228 days
12 July 1870 LHB Cambridge University AFC, Old Brightonians AFC & Corinthians FC 1 0 only app
203   Topham, Robert 25
114 days
3 November 1867 OR Wolverhampton Wanderers FC & Casuals FC 1        0
204 Smith, Gilbert O. 20
92 days
25 November 1872 IR Oxford University AFC, Old Carthusians AFC & Corinthians FC 1        1
  Cotterill, George H. 24
327 days
4 April 1868 CF Old Brightonians AFC & Corinthians FC 3        1
205 Gilliat, Walter E. 23
218 days
22 July 1869 IL Old Carthusians AFC 1 3 only app
scorer of England's twelfth hattrick
Sandilands, Rupert R. 24
202 days
7 August 1868 OL Old Westminsters AFC & Corinthians FC 2        2


not known

team notes:

Gilliat replaced original choice, Cunliffe Gosling (Old Etonians AFC) the day before this match because of a leg injury.
Robert Topham was chosen to play for Wales against Scotland, but he declined.


England extend their record of back-to-back victories, now at seven matches, and create a new record of unbeaten matches, now at ten.
2-3-5 Charsley -
Harrison, Pelly -
Smith, Winckworth, Cooper -
Topham, Smith, Cotterill, Gilliat, Sandilands


Age 23 years 331 days Appearances/Goals 1.5     0.2


Ireland Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 6th
Colours: "The Dark Blue representative..." jerseys and white shorts
Capt: Jimmy Small Selectors: Team chosen by Committee, on Wednesday, 15 February 1893;
Ireland Lineup
  Clugston, W. John 23
198 days
11 August 1869 G Cliftonville FAC 12 60 GA
  Gordon, R.W. Willis, injured off 80th min. 21
363 days
28 February 1871 RB Linfield FAC 5 0
  Stewart, Robert K. 24
194 days
15 August 1868 LB Cliftonville FAC 7 0
  Crawford, S. Alexander 23/24 1869 RHB Cliftonville FAC 6 0
  Spencer, Samuel nk not known CHB Distillery FC 6 0
  Cunningham, William R. nk not known LHB Ulster FC 4 0
  Small, James M. 25
233 days
7 July 1867 OR Cliftonville FAC 2 0
Gaffikin, George J. 24
284 days
17 May 1868 IR Linfield FAC 7 3
  Stanfield, Olphert M. 23
365 days
26 February 1869 CF Distillery FC 18 7
most apps most gls
  Torrans, Samuel 23
121 days
27 October 1869 IL Linfield FAC 9 0
  Peden, John 29
228 days
12 July 1863 OL Linfield FAC 13 2


Sam Johnston (Linfield FAC)
2-3-5 Clugston -
Gordon, Stewart -
Crawford, Spencer, Cunningham -
Small, Gaffikin, Stanfield, Torrans, Peden


Age 24 years 249 days
(based on eight players)
Appearances/Goals 8.1 1.0
most experienced team that England have faced so far


Match Report - The Birmingham Daily Post, Monday, 27 February 1893 In Other News.....

The first international match of the season was played at Perry Barr between elevens representing England and Ireland. The English team was by no means the strongest that could have been selected, for it was composed entirely of amateurs, but it proved far and away too good for the Irishmen, who were defeated in a hollow fashion by 6 goals to 1. The start promised a more exciting game, inasmuch as during the first ten minutes each side scored, and the goals were obtained within two minutes of each other. Gilliat first put the ball through for England, and then Gaffikin equalised. The Irish success was due to some very pretty play between the scorer and Small, and the shot that took affect was a grand one. During the few minutes that followed play was very even; and the Irishmen, cheered by the crowd, who were about ten thousand strong, gave a clever exhibition, but could not improve their position. It was not for long, however, that they held their own; for the superior weight of the Englishmen on the heavy ground gradually gave them command, and the fight for the most part was waged in the Irishmen's territory. A capital shot from Gilliat was somewhat luckily stopped by Clugson, off whose foot the ball rebounded over the bar. The corner was of no advantage. Now Cotterell forced his way between his opponents, and had the Irish goal at his mercy; but his shot was not well judged, and Clugston prevented it taking effect. The goal kick afforded little relief to the Irish defence, which was soon as hard pressed as ever, and at length the ball shot in by Gilliat struck one of the uprights and glanced into the net. Cheered by the crowd the visitors dashed close in to the English goal, and Spencer centred the ball across the front, but Small just failed to reach it. The Englishmen were soon pressing again, and Gilliat once more shot the ball into the net. These reverses fairly put the Irishmen on their mettle, and they strove their hardest to score. Peden did some excellent work on the left, and at length, from one of his centres, the ball was rushed through. Unfortunately, however, the whistle had previously been blown for a foul against A. Smith. From this point up to the interval the Englishmen fairly outplayed their opponents, and G. O. Smith scored again, so that when the teams changed positions the Englishmen led by 4 goals to 1. There was little hope for the Irishmen now. In the first half, kicking downhill, with the sun behind them, they had proved inferior to thei opponents, and it was scarcely to be expected that they could regain their lost ground. The commencement was marked by three grand runs by Topham, but his centres went out. On a fourth occasion he tried to score unaided, but Clugson, who had kept goal remarkably well, punched the ball out. After G. O. Smith had struck the crossbar the scene of the game was changed, and Charsley, whose share in the match was a small one, ran out and kicked away. Another attack was formulated by the Englishmen, and after Clugson had saved splendidly from Gilliat, he was easily beaten by Winckworth, and the score was 5 to 1. During the next five minutes the Irish eleven showed a marked improvement in their play, and Charsley had to save four times in quick succession. He demonstarted his ability between the sticks to everyone's satisfaction. Now came the run of the match. Getting the ball from a scrimmage about thirty yards out of his own goal Sandilands dashed away at a rare pace. He dodged all his opponents, and amidst great cheering banged the ball into the net for the sixth time. After this there was ony one team in it, but no furter scoring took place, and England thus won by 6 goals to 1.

Although most of the crowd at Ibrox Park, Glasgow thought that they had seen Celtic retain the Scottish Cup by defeating Queen's Park by a goal to nil, the game had actually been downgraded to a friendly fixture due to the pitch being frozen. It was replayed, two weeks later, and Queen's Park won 2-1, to record the last of their ten victories in the competition. This was a strange re-enactment of the previous year's final between the same teams, which had also been declared void and replayed following persistent encroachments of the pitch by spectators.

It was on 24 February 1893 that 44-year-old Julia Force calmly shot dead both of her younger sisters in Atlanta and then walked to the police station to confess her crimes. Her family were well-known shoe manufacturers and testified to her insanity. She was sent to the Georgia State Sanitarium for the rest of her life. though she always claimed that she had killed them simply because she had been neglected by her family, who favoured her sisters in every respect. By all accounts, she was perfectly sane and became a lifelong friend of the matron of the sanitarium.

Over 8,000 people visited Perry Barr, Handsworth, on Saturday, to witness the first of the international matches under Association rules played this season. Since the institution of the contest at Belfast in 1882 England have always been successful, and the present encounter did not disturb their record. Ireland, who won the toss, at first played down the hill...
...Then Gilliatt got in possession and finished up a fine run by kicking a goal for England. The Irish forwards played up in a dauntless manner, and Small passed very judiciously to Gaffikin, who shot the ball between the posts. Each side scored with a goal within ten minutes of the start...
Several determined inroads were made by the English forwards, and Gilliatt, taking a fine kick, the ball glanced through off one of the posts. This success was quickly supplemented by a third goal gained by the same player. The home side continued to get the better of the game, and a fourth point was secured by G. O. Smith...
Winckworth, with an exceptionally brilliant shot, gained the fifth goal for England...
Sandilands then cleverly kicked another goal for the home side..."
- The Times, Monday, 27 February 1893
Domestic Football Results (25 February 1893)                                   Teams in a silver box denotes a player representing England
Football Association Challenge Cup 3rd round replay:
Preston North End 7
Middlesbrough Ironopolis 0

   Deepdale, Preston (7,000)
Russell (2), J.Ross, Becton (3), Cowan
Bob Holmes and scorer, Frank Becton started for Preston

Seven days earlier, the sides had drawn 2-2 after extra time at Paradise Ground, Middlesbrough.
Preston lost to Everton in the semi-finals, whilst Ironopolis were admitted to the Football League, six months later, to replace Accrington, who had resigned, but the Middlesbrough side only lasted a season themselves, before the club was liquidated.

The Football
League Division One:
Accrington 0 Everton 3
   Thorneyholme Road, Accrington (5,000)Chadwick (2), Kelso (pen)
Jimmy Whitehead started for Accrington
Johnny Holt, Fred Geary, Edgar Chadwick and Alf Milward all started for Everton
Blackburn Rovers 3 Stoke 3
   Ewood Park, Blackburn (3,000)
Sawers (2), Anderson
~ Schofield (3)
Nat Walton, Jimmy Forrest and Jack Southworth started for Rovers
Bill Rowley, Tommy Clare, Alf Underwood and Joe Schofield all started for Stoke
Bolton Wanderers 1 Burnley 0
   Pike's Lane, Bolton (5,000)
own goal
John Sutcliffe, Davie Weir and Jimmy Turner started for Bolton
Jack Hillman and Jimmy Crabtree started for Burnley
Nottingham Forest 3 Notts County 1
   Town Ground, Nottingham (15,000)
Pike, McInnes (2) ~ Bruce
Forest were without Albert Smith, but did have Harry Daft
George Toone and Alf Shelton started for Notts.
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2
Derby County 1

   Molineux Ground, Wolverhampton (5,000)
Wood, Butcher ~ Goodall
Wolves were without Robert Topham, but did have Dick Baugh, Harry Allen, George Woodhall, George Kinsey and Harry Wood.
Derby started with Jack Robinson and Jack Goodall.

Division One Table
Team P
Sunderland 22 36
Preston North End 22 31
Everton 25 28
Aston Villa 24 26
Nottingham Forest 25 26
Blackburn Rovers 25 25
Wolverhampton Wanderers 23 24
The Wednesday 24 24
Stoke 25 24
Notts County 24 22
Bolton Wanderers 24 22
Derby County 23 21
West Bromwich Albion 25 21
Burnley 24 20
Accrington 23 19
Newton Heath 24 13

League newcomers, Forest won the Nottingham derby for the first time, but Sunderland were still on course to retain their title.

The Football
League Division Two:
Bootle 3 Burton Swifts 2
   Hawthorne Road, Bootle (3,000)
Brandon, Gallacher
(2) ~ Emery, McLoughlin
Crewe Alexandra 2 Darwen 2
   Alexandra Recreation Ground, Crewe (3,000)
(2) ~ Entwistle, own goal
Lincoln City 5 Northwich victoria 1
   John O'Gaunt's, Lincoln (2,000)
nk, Richardson, Raby, Fleming, Smallman
Small Heath 8 Grimsby Town 3
   Coventry Road, Birmingham (3,000)
Hands (2), Hallam (2), Wheldon, Walton (3)
Heath were without their goalkeeper Chris Charsley

Division Two Table
Team P
Small Heath 20 32
Darwen 20 28
Sheffield United 15 22
Grimsby Town 17 19
Ardwick 18 19
Burton Swifts 17 17
Northwich victoria 18 16
Crewe Alexandra 19 15
Lincoln City 17 13
Bootle 18 13
Walsall Town Swifts 17 10
Burslem Port Vale 18 10

Unbeaten Small Heath's resounding victory ensured that they would take part in the test matches at the end of the season, though they failed to win promotion after losing to Newton Heath, who finished bottom of the First Division..

Source Notes  
Northern Ireland's Footballing Greats
England Football Factbook
Rothman's Yearbooks
The Football Association Yearbook
Original Newspaper Reports