England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 28 February 2022



191 vs. Scotland
193 vs. Czechoslovakia

Thursday, 10 May 1934
End-of-Season Tour Friendly Match

Hungary 2 England 1 [0-0]

Stadion Üllõi út, Budapest
40,000; Kick-off: tbc

Match Summary
Hungary Party

England Party

Hungary - István Avar (close range shot from a Kenémy crossfield ball 56), György Sárosi (shot into the top corner of the goal from a Toldi cross 69)
England - Fred Tilson (possibly, through a melee of players 84)
Results 1930-39

England won the toss, Hungary kicked-off.


Match Summary





Referee - Rinaldo Barlassina

Linesmen - not known

"Attended and watched by the Regent and his wife, Archduke Joseph, the Lord Mayor and many other notabilities occupied the Royal Box."

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

Hungary Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 10th to 8th
Colours: Red laced-up shirts, white shorts, green socks with red and white hooped tops
Capt: x Selectors: Ödön Nádas, 42 (12 September 1891)
Hungary Lineup
  Háda, József 23 2 March 1911 G Ferencvárosi TC 11 19 GA
  Vágó, József 27 30 June 1906 RB Bocskai SC 1 0
  Sternberg, László 28 28 May 1905 LB Újpest FC 7 0
  Szalay, Antal 22 12 March 1912 RH Újpest FC 8 0
  Szucs, György 22 23 April 1912 CH Újpest FC 3 0
  Lázár, Gyula 23 24 January 1911 LH Ferencvárosi TC 19 0
  Rökk, Ede 22 1 September 1911 OR Budai 11 FC 2 0
Avar, István 28 28 May 1905
born in Romania
IR Újpest FC 17 21
also 2 appearances, 3 goals for Romania 1926-27
Sarosi, Gyorgy 21 16 September 1912 CF Ferencvárosi TC 22 7
  Toldi, Géza 25 11 February 1909 IL Ferencvárosi TC 21 9
  Kemény, Tibor 21 5 March 1913 OL Ferencvárosi TC 5 0


reserves not known
2-3-5 Háda -
Vágó, Sternberg -
Szalay, Szucs, Lázár -
Rökk, Avar, Sarosi, Toldi, Kemény


Age 23.8 Appearances/Goals 10.5 3.2


England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 5th
Colours: The 1923 uniform - White collared jerseys, navy blue or black shorts, black socks with white tops
Capt: Tommy Cooper, second captaincy Selectors:
In Charge: Charles Wreford-Brown
Trainer: Tom Whittaker
The fourteen-man FA International Selection Committee, on 27 April 1934.
159th match, W 102 - D 29 - L 28 - F 481 - A 178.
England Lineup
  Moss, Frank 24 5 November 1909 G Arsenal FC 2 2 GA
  Cooper, Thomas 29 9 April 1905 RB Derby County FC 13 0
  Hapgood, Edris A. 25 24 September 1908 LB Arsenal FC 6 0
  Stoker, Lewis 24 31 March 1910 RH Birmingham FC 3 0
  Hart, Ernest A. 32 3 January 1902 CH Leeds United FC 7 0
  Burrows, Horace 24 11 March 1910 LH Sheffield Wednesday FC 1 0
  Crooks, Samuel D. 26 16 January 1908 OR Derby County FC 20 7
  Carter, Horatio S. 20 21 December 1913 IR Sunderland AFC 2 0
Tilson, S. Frederick 30 19 April 1904 CF Manchester City FC 1 1
  Bastin, Clifford S. 22 14 March 1912 IL Arsenal FC 7 4
  Brook, Eric F. 26 27 November 1907 OL Manchester City FC 7 4


Jack Milburn (Leeds United AFC), Tom Gardner (Aston Villa FC), Joe Beresford (Aston Villa FC) and Billy Furness (Leeds United AFC).

team notes:

Leeds United AFC's Wilf Copping was the original choice left-half, but an injury prevented him taking part, his place going to new cap, Gardner. Newcastle United FC's Sam Weaver was also replaced, by Burrows.
There was no dressing room accommodation, it is unclear where England changed.
2-3-5 Moss -
Cooper, Hapgood -
Stoker, Hart, Burrows -
Crooks, Carter, Tilson, Bastin, Brook.


Age 25.7 Appearances/Goals 6.3 1.4


    Match Report

BUDAPEST, May 10.--England was beaten by Hungary to-day by two goals to one after there had been no score at half-time. This was the first occasion on which an official English team had been beaten on the Continent*.

There was no fluke about Hungary's win. After the first 10 minutes, in which they were flustered, they were the better players. The match was played on a hard ground and with a light, bouncing ball which the English team found almost impossible to control.

Without making any excuses for the English team, it must be said that they were handicapped. The heat was considerable, and the ground was hard and dusty, without a blade of grass on it...

The first goal was scored after 20 minutes in the second half by Avar, the inside-right. The movement started with a free kick against England. Szucs, the centre-half, took the kick and passed to Kenemy, who sent the ball to the opposite wing, and Avar, running in, scored from close range. Less than five minutes later Sarosi scored a second goal. This, like the first, was the result of a fine movement. Roeck, on the right wing, got away, passed to his inside, who passed across to Toldi. He was tackled, but got rid of the ball just in time, and Sarosi, taking the pass in his stride, sent the ball into the top corner of the net.

England scored six minutes from the close through Tilson. It was by now getting dark and the ball could only be followed from the stands with difficulty. The English forward line gathered together in the goal-mouth, and it was at first thought that Carter, inside-right, had got the ball into the net, but later Tilson, centre-forward, was given that honour...--Reuter. - The Times - Friday 11th May, 1934

* apart from the games in Spain in 1929 and France in 1931!


It was on 9 May 1934 that an American millionaire, William Gettle, was kidnapped from his home in Beverly Hills, and his friend was tied to a tree in the grounds. His lawyer received a note demanding $60,000, and his wife received one demanding $40,000, but the police tracked him down and rescued him from a house, five days after the kidnapping. Five people were convicted as a result.

Source Notes