England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 1 January 2018



130 vs. Ireland
132 vs. Belgium

Monday, 5 March 1923
Home International Championship 1922-23 (35th) Match

Wales 2 England 2 [1-1]

Match Summary
Wales Party

England Party

Ninian Park, Sloper Road, Cardiff, Glamorgan
Attendance: 12,000;
Receipts: £800; Kick-off: tbc GMT

Wales - Fred Keenor (thirty-yard swerving shot from a Jones cross 17), Ivor Jones (a rebound shot from a Taylor save 86)
England - Harry Chambers (a powerless shot that deceived Peers that deflected off the mud and went inside the post 36), Vic Watson (charged down Parry's clearance to shoot past Peers 48)
Results 1919-30

Wales won the toss, England kicked-off.


Match Summary





Referee - Thomas G. Bryan
Willenhall, England

Linesmen - not known

The Welsh FA, on 5 February, requested to the ISC, to move this match to Wednesday, 7 March. The Committee refused, on the grounds of the FA Cup ties being played on 10 March.

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

Wales Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 26th to 25th
Colours: Made by St. Margaret's - Red shirts with white laced-up collars, white shorts, red socks
Capt: Fred Keenor Selectors: Team selection chosen by Committee.
Wales Lineup
  Peers, Edward J. 36 31 December 1886 G Port Vale FC, England 12 14 GA
  Parry, Edward 30 8 December 1892 RB Liverpool FC, England 2 0
  Russell, Moses R. 34 20 May 1888 LB Plymouth Argyle FC, England 12 0
Keenor, Frederick C. 28 31 July 1894 RH Cardiff City FC 7 1
  Matthews, R. William 25 16 April 1897 CH Bristol City FC, England 2 0
  Jennings, William 30 25 February 1893 LH Bolton Wanderers FC, England 4 0
  Hole, William J. 25 1 November 1897 OR Swansea Town FC 3 1
Jones, Ivor 23 31 July 1899 IR West Bromwich Albion FC, England 7 1
  Davies, Leonard S. 23 28 April 1899 CF Cardiff City FC 4 2
  Vizard, Edward T. 33 7 June 1889 IL Bolton Wanderers FC, England 15 0
  Evans, John H. 34 31 January 1889 OL Cardiff City FC 7 1


reserves not known

team notes:

Len Davies was a late replacement for Stan Davies.
2-3-5 Peers -
Parry, Russell -
Keenor, Matthews, Jennings -
Hole, Jones, Davies, Vizard, Evans.


Age 29.2 Appearances/Goals 6.8 0.4


England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 10th
Colours: The 1903 uniform - White collared jerseys and dark club shorts
Capt: Arthur Grimsdell, third captaincy Selectors: The fourteen-man FA International Selection Committee, following the trial match, on Monday, 26 February 1923.
98th match, W 66 - D 19 - L 13 - F 307 - A 90.
England Lineup
  Taylor, Edward 35 7 March 1887 G Huddersfield Town AFC 2 2 GA
  Longworth, Ephraim 35 2 October 1887 RB Liverpool FC 3 0
  Titmuss, Frederick 28 15 February 1895 LB Southampton FC 2 0
  Magee, Thomas P. 23 12 May 1899 RH West Bromwich Albion FC 1 0
  Wilson, George 31 14 January 1892 CH The Wednesday FC 7 0
  Grimsdell, Arthur 28 23 March 1894 LH Tottenham Hotspur FC 6 0
  Carr, John, injured off 80 min. 31 26 November 1891 OR Middlesbrough FC 2 0
  Seed, James M. 27 25 March 1895 IR Tottenham Hotspur FC 3 0
Watson, Victor M. 25 10 November 1897 CF West Ham United FC 1 1
Chambers, Henry 26 17 November 1896 IL Liverpool FC 5 4
  Williams, Owen 26 23 September 1896 OL Clapton Orient FC 2 0


Jack Tresadern (West Ham United FC) and Frank Hartley (Oxford City FC)
2-3-5 Taylor -
Longworth, Titmuss -
Magee, Wilson, Grimsdell -
Carr, Seed, Watson, Chamber, Williams.


Age 28.4 Appearances/Goals 3.1 0.3


    Match Report


The International match between Wales and England resulted at Cardiff yesterday in a drawn game, each side having scored two goals. The game looked like ending in a victory for England, but in the closing moments of a thoroughly interesting match, Wales saved themselves...

At the end of 17 minutes' play there came a surprise goal. I. Jones dribbled to the left, and, being tackled, sent the ball across to Keenor, who with a long shot scored for Wales, the ball swerving away from Taylor as he moved to meet it...

...although Wales seemed the faster side England equalized after 36 minutes' play, when Grimsdell gave Williams a good pass, that enabled Chambers to put the ball into goal...

The second half had only lasted three minutes when England were in front. Wilson passed hard forward and Watson, following up, charged down Parry's kick and dribbled on to shoot past Peers...

Ten minutes from the finish Carr was injured and went off the field, and in one great final effort in the last few seconds of the game I. Jones, with a low shot, sent the ball through, after Taylor had saved, and so enabled Wales to secure a draw. - The Times - Tuesday 6th March, 1923

Source Notes

Welsh Football Data Archive
Original newspaper reports
Rothmans Yearbooks
FA Yearbooks 1950-60