England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 9 March 2022



206 vs. Ireland

208 vs. Scotland

Wednesday, 2 December 1936
Football Association Friendly Match

England 6 Hungary 2 [3-1]

Match Summary
England Party

Hungary Party

Arsenal Stadium, Highbury, Islington, County of London
Attendance: 36,000;
Receipts: £5,310; Kick-off: 1.25pm GMT;

England - Eric Brook (tapped-in a Drake pass 25), Ted Drake (beat Szabo at the nearpost 35, from a corner 42, short sharp drive from a Brook corner 65, hat-trick), Cliff Britton (direct free-kick 52), Raich Carter (headed in a Britton cross 87)
Hungary - László Cseh (carefully placed shot 26), Jenõ Vincze (from a left-wing attack 50)
Results 1930-39

? won the toss, ? kicked-off.


Match Summary






Referee - Lucien Leclercq
39 (16 January 1897), France

Linesmen - A.A. Horwood, Surrey and not known

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 7th to 6th
Colours: The 1935 home uniform - White collared jerseys, navy blue shorts, black socks topped with two white hoops
Capt: George Male, second captaincy Selectors:
In charge: Henry J. Huband
Attendant: Tom Whittaker
The fourteen-man FA International Selection Committee, on Tuesday, 24 November 1936.
174th match, W 110 - D 30 - L 34 - F 513 - A 199.
England Lineup
  Tweedy, George J. 23 8 January 1913 G Grimsby Town FC 1 2 GA
  Male, C. George 26 8 May 1910 RB Arsenal FC 12 0
  Catlin, A. Edward 26 11 January 1910 LB Sheffield Wednesday FC 3 0
Britton, Clifford S. 27 27 August 1909 RH Everton FC 6 1
  Young, Alfred 31 4 November 1905 CH Huddersfield Town AFC 2 0
  Keen, Eric R.L. 26 4 September 1910 LH Derby County FC 4 0
  Crooks, Samuel D. 28 16 January 1908 OR Derby County FC 26 7
  Bowden, E. Raymond 27 13 September 1909 IR Arsenal FC 6 1
Drake, Edward J. 24 16 August 1912 CF Arsenal FC 4 4
Carter, Horatio S. 22 21 December 1913 IL Sunderland AFC 5 2
Brook, Eric F. 29 27 November 1907 OL Manchester City FC 16 9


Wally Boyes (West Bromwich Albion FC) and originally, Ray Bowden (Arsenal FC), replaced with Bill Scott (Brentford FC).

team notes:

There were two changes from that originally selected, both on the left of the forward line. Occupied at first by Bolton Wanderers FC's Ray Westwood on the inside, and Stoke City FC's Joe Johnson on the outside. Brook was drafted in on 27 November to replace Johnson because he was suffering from a groin strain, whereas Carter, on Monday, 30 November, was moved across the line from his position at inside-right, to replace Westwood, and Bowden came in from reserve status to take up Carter's vacancy.
Cliff Britton's free-kick was his first ever goal for England, and his country's eighth successful direct free-kick.
2-3-5 Tweedy -
Male, Catlin -
Britton, Young, Keen -
Crooks, Bowden, Drake, Carter, Brook


Age 26.3 Appearances/Goals 7.7 1.7


Hungary Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 12th
Colours: Red laced-up shirts, white shorts, green socks with red and white hooped tops
Capt: György Sárosi Selectors: Károly Dietz, 50 (21 July 1885), appointed after World Cup Finals 1934
18th match, W 9 - D 3 - L - 6 - F 53 - A 50.
Hungary Lineup
  Szabó, Antal 25 4 September 1910 G Hungária FC 24 57 or 58 GA
  Vágó, József 29 30 June 1906 RB Bocskai SC 10 0
  Biró, Sándor 24 9 August 1911 LB Hungária FC 19 0
  Lázár, Gyula 25 24 January 1911 RH Ferencvárosi TC 30 1
  Sárosi, Dr. György 23 16 September 1912 CH Ferencvárosi TC 35 22
  Dudás, János 25 13 February 1911 LH Hungária FC 7 0
  Sas, Feranc 20 16 August 1915 OR Hungária FC 6 1
Vincze, Jenõ 27 20 November 1908 IR Újpest FC 18 7
  Zsengellér, Gyula 20 27 December 1915 CF Újpest FC 1 0
Cseh, László 26 4 April 1910 IL Hungária FC 27 11
  Titkos, Pál 28 8 January 1908 OL Hungária FC 36 8


József Pálinkás (Szeged FC), Gyula Polgár (Budai XI FC), József Turay (Hungária FC), György Szucs (Újpest FC), Géza Toldi (Gamma FC)

team notes:

Szabó was substituted in Hungary's match against Bulgaria, 29 April 1934. It is unsure whether it was before or after Vladimir Todorov scored against them.
2-3-5 Szabó -
Vágó, Biró -
Lázár, Sárosi, Dudás -
Sas, Vincze, Zsengellér, Cseh, Titkos
The Hungarians started the match with Cesh at centre-forward and Zsengellér at inside-left.


Age 24.7 Appearances/Goals 19.4 4.4


    Match Report



   We like to think that the English have given football to the world-especially to the Continental nations. But it was Hungary, one of the finest Continental exponents of the game, who came to Arsenal Stadium yesterday and showed an English team and an English crowd how football ought to be played.
   England, it is true, won handsomely by six goals to two. But England's three goals to one lead at the interval was not justified, and then Hungary wearied on a heavy pitch after they had reduced England's lead to a single goal. Our triumph, however, must remain a shallow one.
   Those who love the sport for its own sake and not for the commercial successes of teams costing £40,000 or £50,000 must regret the type of game which enabled England to win. Football artistry was only to be seen in the Hungarian side.
   They kept the ball close, made short passes which seldom failed to reach the man, the players moved ahead into the open to await a pass, the headwork was superb in its control, tackling was neat and invariably efficient, and only in front of goal were Hungary weak.
   They lacked knowledge of the time and occasion to shoot, frequently wasting a chance by passing once too often and giving England's oft-bewildered defence a second chance to repel the invaders.
   Take Hungary's opening goal, scored direct from the kick-off after England had opened the scoring. It was engineered through an attack we often used in the old days. Centre-forward Cseh kicked off to inside-right Vincze, who immediately passed back to Dr. Sarosi at centre-half.
   This brilliant tactician held it for a moment, beat a man and slipped a forward return pass to Vincze. The inside-right drew a defender and squared a pass to inside-left Zsengeller who ran towards goal and gave a grand down-the-centre ball to Cseh, who sent the ball cleverly past Tweedy. Not an England man touched the ball.


   Hungary's real strength lay in their middle line. Lazar and Dudas, at right and left half, were strong in their tackles and their passing to Dr. Sarosi and to their forwards was real "feeding." The worthy doctor guarded Drake for most of the first half, but he reverted to an attacking role. His understanding with his forwards was clever, and had Hungary had a Drake, Sarosi's work would have brought goals.
   The inside wing men were good workmen and Sas a lively outside right, but Titkos lacked determination on the left. The backs made a good start, but gave the English wingers too much space to work in and they were tired out long before the end.
   Szabo, in goal, drew attention by the diversity of means he had of getting rid of the ball. He punched, he pushed, he threw, he made short unexpected passes, and wen he ran out of goal with a gathered ball Szabo threw it high into the air and jumped to kick it upfield. That free kick, taken by Britton, which went unhindered into goal was a surprise to Szabo. He seemed to be watching Drake's tactics instead of the ball.
   But he impressed the crowd.


   The England team did all that was required to satisfy the selectors. They won, and the English football fan, being what he is, would be satisfied, too.
    But it is not unfair criticism to state that the England players were puzzled by the clever ball control of their opponents and upset by the deadly passing. Male, the captain, saved the England goal on at least two occasions by kicking clear on the line when Tweedy was beaten to the wide.  I do not think Tweedy's claims to further international honours should be judged on this game. It was his first encounter with the Continental style.
   Male and Catlin were uncertain until late in the game and often beaten in tackles. Young held Cseh firmly, and Britton and Keen showed up finely in constructive play, but not so well in defensive work. Crooks was brilliant and deserved a goal for the finest shot of the match apart from Drake's scoring left-foot volley.
   Bowden was good and bad and sometimes indifferent. His through passes to Drake were excellent, but his feeding of Crooks was apt too have too much speed or strength. Drake is a match-winner at any time on form approaching that which he displayed yesterday.
   Carter was not happy on the left, and seemed to want more room to manœuvre. On the extreme left Brook was the opportunist that he always is, an, like Drake, ever a potential matchwinner.
   Weather and ground conditions were all against the Hungarians. We shall think of them as the best Continental team to whom we have extended hospitality, and we would not have envied them some of the success that was Austria's when that national eleven ran England to a 3-4 issue. We understand better now why Hungary beat England on their own territory.
- Gloucestershire Echo, Thursday, 3 December 1936

   Home International Championship

Championship match played on 2 December 1936:

Walker (Glover 2)

23,858 (Dens Park, Dundee)

Wales went on to win their third title in five years, but it was the last time that they would win the championship outright.

   Football Association Challenge Cup

First round replays played on 2 December 1936:

Four games were played, three of which were home wins, with Lincoln coming from behind twice to win at New Brighton after extra time. Hartlepools beat Rotherham and Southend beat Crystal Palace, whilst in the match between two non-league clubs, Spennymoor United beat Boston United.


It was on 3 December 1936 that the comments of the Bishop of Bradford, the Right Reverend Doctor Alfred Blunt, two days earlier, when he lamented King Edward VIII's indifference to the church, and its potential damaging effect on his coronation in the following year, inadvertently set in motion the constitutional crisis in which the King would abdicate, just nine days later. Although the Bishop had been unaware of the King's affair with Wallis Warfield (the former Mrs Simpson) when he wrote the speech, his specific comments about the King needing to show more awareness of his need to be faithful to his duty, were interpreted as a thinly-veiled reference to his intentions to marry the twice-divorced woman. The national press seized on the opportunity to debate the situation publicly. Five months later, they were married in France, and his younger brother had been crowned King George VI.

Source Notes

Original newspaper reports