England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 23 February 2022



186 vs. Italy

188 vs. Ireland

Saturday, 20 May 1933
End-of-Season Tour Friendly Match

Switzerland 0 England 4 [0-1]

Match Summary
Switzerland Party

England Party

Stadion Neufeld, Neufeld, Bern
Attendance: 26,000
; Kick-off: 4.30pm CET, 5.30pm BST;

England - Cliff Bastin (an unbeatable drive from a corner 21, Séchehaye rushed out and Bastin shot into an empty net 70), Jimmy Richardson (a neatly placed shot 75, another neat shot 77)
Results 1930-39

? won the toss, ? kicked-off.


Match Summary





Referee - Dr. Peco Joseph Bauwens
46 (24 December 1886), Germany

Linesmen - W.Musther (London) and not known

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

Switzerland Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 30th
Colours: probably red shirts and white shorts
Capt: Max Abegglen Selectors: Team Committee
Switzerland Lineup
  Séchehaye, Frank 25 3 November 1907 G Servette FC de Genève 26 66 GA
  Minelli, Severino 23 6 September 1909 RB Grasshopper Club 20 0
  Bielser, Karl nk not known LB FC Basel 1893 6 0
  Gilardoni, Gabriele 29 29 December 1903 RH FC Lugano 13 0
  Imhof, Otto nk not known CH Étoile Carouge FC 18 0
  Hufschmid, Ernst 20 4 February 1913 LH FC Basel 1893 3 0
  von Känel, Willy 23 30 October 1909 OR FC Biel-Bienne 12 3
  Abegglen, André 24 7 March 1909 IR Grasshopper Club 25 18
  Passello, Raymond 28 12 January 1905 CF Servette FC de Genève 15 3
  Abegglen, Max 31 11 April 1902 IL Grasshopper Club 52 30
  Jäck, Alfred 21 2 August 1911 OL FC Basel 1893 14 1


reserves not known

team notes:

André and Max Abegglen were brothers.
2-3-5 Séchehaye -
Minelli, Bielser -
Gilardoni, Imhof, Hufschmid -
von Känel,
A.Abegglen, Passello, M.Abegglen, Jäck


Age 24.9 Appearances/Goals 18.5 5.0


England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 5th
Colours: The 1923 uniform - White collared jerseys, navy blue or black shorts, black socks with white tops
Capt: Roy Goodall, ninth captaincy Selectors:
In charge: Arthur G. Kingscott
Trainer: Lawrie Edwards (Derby County FC)
The fourteen-man FA International Selection Committee, on Friday, 19 May 1933, from the available Party.
154th match, W 99 - D 29 - L 26 - F 469 - A 173.
England Lineup
  Hibbs, E. Henry 26 27 May 1906 G Birmingham FC 16 18 GA
  Goodall, F. Roy 30 31 December 1902 RB Huddersfield Town AFC 22 0
  Hapgood, Edris A. 24 24 September 1908 LB Arsenal FC 2 0
  Strange, Alfred H. 33 2 April 1900 RH Sheffield Wednesday FC 17 0
  O'Dowd, J. Peter 25 26 February 1908 CH Chelsea FC 3 0
  Copping, Wilfred 25 17 August 1907 LH Leeds United AFC 2 0
  Geldard, Albert 19 11 April 1914 OR Everton FC 2 0
Richardson, James R. 22 8 February 1911 IR Newcastle United FC 2 2
  Hunt, George S. 23 22 February 1910 CF Tottenham Hotspur FC 3 1
Bastin, Clifford S. 21 14 March 1912 IL/OL Arsenal FC 3 3
  Brook, Eric F. 25 27 November 1907 OL/IL Manchester City FC 2 0


Tom Cooper (Derby County FC) and Billy Furness (Leeds United AFC). The remaining two players are injured Tom White (Everton FC) and George Mills (Chelsea FC).

team notes:

Leeds United AFC's Ernie Hart was the original selected centre-half, he did not travel as he was suspended and his place in the party went to White.
Chelsea FC's George Mills was selected to play at inside-right, with Richardson on his outside. However, an injury prevented him from taking his place, and Geldard resumed the position on the outside, with Richardson, once again, occupying the inside.
2-3-5 Hibbs -
Goodall, Hapgood -
Strange, O'Dowd, Copping -
Geldard, Richardson, Hunt, Bastin
(Brook), Brook (Bastin)
"When the second half began Bastin, who had been playing at inside-left, changed places with Brook and went to the wing position."


Age 24.8 Appearances/Goals 6.7 0.2


    Match Report

England beat Switzerland here yesterday by four goals to none.

It had been anticipated that there would be several changes at forward from the English team which played against Italy, so disappointing had been the display of the front rank on that occasion, but the substitution of Bastin for Furniss at inside-left and the inclusion of Brook at outside-left were the only alterations in this respect. White, the centre half-back, was perforce an absentee on account of an injury, but it was felt that O'Dowd could be relied upon to fill the vacancy with credit.

The match, played in ideal conditions as regards weather, ground, which was of maximum breadth, and temperature, resulted in a win for England by four goals to none. The score was a little flattering, since in the first half their opponents were decidedly the attacking force. Whatever be the cause, the fact remains that inside forward play seems to be a lost art. Straight passes down the middle, which the best centres in the world can at best rarely take cleanly, and then with extreme difficulty, are the vogue. The old time sweep down the field, with every forward taking, or ready to take, his part, are rarely seen. In the second half this old time system was much more in evidence and gained the just reward with a defence which was as sound as against Italy. The Englishmen might well have shown a more aggressive attack, but it was left to their opponents until they were tired out to reveal their worrying tactics, which only failed to succeed by reason of inability to put on the finishing touch. Unquestionably this was largely due to lack of weight and the magnificent heading of the English defenders...

Richardson showed much improved form and scored two good goals, rivalling Bastin, who was responsible for a similar number...

In the first half, playing with the sun at their backs, England scored one goal through Bastin...

In the second half England, showing improved form, brought their score up to four through Bastin and Richardson...

There were many Continental visitors representing the Football Associations of their respective countries, and it is scarcely necessary to say that the Swiss spectators gave the heartiest reception to their visitors and were impartial in their plaudits.
- The Times - Monday 22nd May, 1933


It was on 20 May 1933 that a wild civet escaped from a miniature zoo at the Kursaal Pleasure Ground which was also the home of Southend United Football Club. The cat-like creature knocked over an oil lamp and started a huge fire which killed all of the monkeys, snakes and reptiles in the zoo. Though the area was not yet open to the public for the summer, the flames were fifty feet high and attracted thousands of people, including stallholders trying to save their goods. Firefighters even had to turn their hoses on the crowd to drive them back. Chaos ensued when stored ammunition for the rifle range began exploding and there was a stampede, with several people being injured. The civet was found and recaptured, twelve days later, after returning and trying to get into the lion enclosure, looking for food.

Source Notes

Although retrospectively, it is claimed that the Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman had a hand in this tour, there is no contemporary evidence to suggest this. The newspaper reports state that the tour was in the hands of Arthur Kingscott, who in turn, answered to the FA Secretary, Sir Frederick Wall, who was also a member of the traveling party, and that the Party was trained by Derby County FC's Laurie Edwards.

original newspaper reports
FA Yearbooks - various