England Football Online
Goalkeepers Index Page Last Updated
22 March 2024

Jack Hillman

Burnley FC

1 appearance, 2 goals against

P 1 W 1 D 0 L 0 F 13: A 2
100% successful


captain: none
minutes played:


  William John Hillman
Birth Wednesday, 30 November 1870 in Gunnislake, Calstock, Cornwall, near Tavistock, Devon
  registered as William John in Tavistock January-March 1871
Baptism Friday, 27 January 1871 in Calstock

According to the 1871 census, William, the youngest of two children to Susan, is living with her parents, his grandparents, at 1 Caledonia, Calstock in Tavistock. His grandfather, John, is a labourer.
The Birth Certificate reveals no father, which is why Jack had the Hillman name.

Many of the Hillman family moved to Burnley following the miners' strike of 1873, after labourers were brought in from elsewhere to combat the strike.

According to the 1881 census, Susan has married Robert Barrett (possibly in 1878), a blacksmith, and both Mary Ann and William took the surname. His mother is a cotton winder. They live at 25 Hart Street in Burnley.


According to the 1891 census, mason John W. [Hillman] is living with his widowed mother, Susan, and his widowed grandmother, Melinda. They now live in 23 Robinson Street in Burnley.

"On Monday, John Hillman, goalkeeper to the Burnley Football Club, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Church-street the previous afternoon. The constable who proved the case said the prisoner was behaving like a madman. He was jostling foot-passengers about, seized an old man by the throat and held him against the wall. Hillman, who said he got his drink at Todmorden, was fined 20s., including costs, or 14 days' imprisonment." - The Blackburn Standard and Weekly Express, Saturday, 12 November 1892.
"This morning, at the Burnley Police Court, John Hillman, goalkeeper to the Burnley Football Club, was summoned with Edith Dixon for disorderly behaviour in Church-street, on the 18th inst. The two defendants were bracketed together. The case was proved by P.C. Lockwood. Hillman was fined 10s and costs and the female defendant, who did not appear, was fined 15s., including costs." - The Lancashire Daily Post, Wednesday, 1 March 1893.

"At the Burnley Borough police Court, on Wednesday, John Hillman, 'footballer, was summoned for assaulting Sarah Ann Riley, a good looking woman, on Oct 15th.—Complainant stated that the defendant, without saying, struck her in the face with his fist in Lindsay-street. He struck her three times, once on the face, knocked her down, and kicked her in the side.—Cross-examined: She was hurt, and had to go to the doctor because her arm was hurt in falling. She was not the worse for drink, and did not use bad language to the defendant. She was summoned by the police for using obscene language the same evening. He struck her again the same evening.—Edith Grant, of 36, Lindsay-street, said complainant said something to defendant, who either struck or pushed her.—Mr. Sutcliffe submitted that the complainant was the aggressor by using a disgusting expression to the defendant, who said, "That sort of language won't do for me," and pushed her away, and being fresh, she fell. No blow was struck. Complainant wanted to have a "flare up," and went a second time.—This statement was borne out by a witness, and the Bench dismissed the case.—Mr. Sutcliffe said he had three more witnesses, and asked for costs, which were not allowed.—Riley was summoned for using obscene language, and was fined 10s., including costs."
- The Lancaster Gazette, Saturday, 28 October 1893.
"John Hillman, the Burnley goalkeeper for the League eleven, has been suspended indefinitely by the committee of the Burnley FC for insubordination. Seeing, therefore, that considerable interest is being taken in the matter by all lovers of the national sport locally, the following details, supplied officially, will throw no little light on the subject:—Hillman, it is stated was injured a fortnight ago in the match against Liverpool at Turf Moor, He attended at the surgery of Dr. Watson (chairman of the committee) on the Tuesday, and had his injury attended to, and he should have gone on the following Thursday, but did not do so. Not only that but without the doctor's consent he removed the bandage which had been placed on his leg. On the Saturday morning he attended Dr. Watson's surgery to have his leg dressed again, and the doctor then told him that he would not be able to play in the afternoon. That was purely in consequence of his having disobeyed the doctor's instruction, and not gone to the surgery on the Thursday. When the doctor attended to Hillman's injuries on the Saturday morning he told him that he must go home and gave his leg perfect rest for two days, and that he (the doctor) would call in and see him on the Sunday morning and dress it again. He asked Hillman where he had to call at, and was told, "68, Ardwick-street"—Hillman's residence. To Dr. Watson's surprise, however, Hillman was at the match at Turf Moor as a spectator in the afternoon, and the following morning when he (the doctor) called at his house he found that Hillman had not been there since the previous day. Neither could his whereabouts be ascertained on the Monday morning. Eventually he was notified that he must appear before the committee last Monday evening. This he did, but his remarks to the chairman were, it is said, of a somewhat insulting character. In consequence of his disobeying the doctor's orders Dr. Watson reported that Hillman would not be in a fit state to play to-day at Newcastle. Hillman's services to the club have, therefore, been lost for two weeks through, as the committee allege, insubordination, and at a meeting of the committee, on Wednesday evening, he was suspended indefinitely for this offence.
It should be stated that the exact nature of the injury to Hillman's knee was an abrasion of the skin over a considerable portion, but the under-skin was left intact. This it was believed would have been easily healed had the proper care been taken. On the other hand, in justice to Hillman, it should be added that he had himself attended to the injury, but the committee were of opinion that he ought to have obeyed strictly the instructions of Dr. Watson."
- Express and Advertiser, 2 February 1895.
Marriage to Fanny Stansfield, on Thursday morning, 28 February 1895 at Burnley Register Office, Nicolas Street in Burnley, Lancashire
  registered in Burnley January-March 1895
"MARRIAGE OF THE EX-BURNLEY GOALKEEPER.—J.Hillman, the ex-Burnley goalkeeper, was married by license at the Registrar's Office, Nicholas-street, on Thursday morning. The othey contracting party was Miss Fanny Stansfield, of Burnley, who was accompanied by a lady friend, while McKnight acted as best man. The event was kept very quiet." - Burnley Express/Lancashire Evening Post, Saturday, 2 March 1895.
Children Jack and Fanny Hillman had one son together, John (b.2 December 1902)

According to the 1901 census, Wm Jno. is a bricklayer, now married to Fanny and they live at 16 Hinton Street in Burnley.

"This morning, at Burnley, John Hillman, footballer, was summoned by Annie Parker for assaulting John Ramsbottom. Mr. W. Mossop represented complainant, and Mr. Lloyd appeared for defendant.
"Mr. Mossop said there had undoubtedly been an assault on Ramsbottom, and Barker, who witnessed it took out a summons against the defendant. The affair, however, turned out more serious than was anticipated. Ramsbottom lost some work, and had to incur a doctor's bill. He decided to withdraw the summons with a view to proceedings for damages in the County Court, but he (Mr. Mossop) understood the defendant was willing to apologise for what had happened, to compensate the prosecutor with the sum of £5, pay the doctor's bill of £1 1s., and also pay the legal costs that had been incurred. The assault consisted in getting hold of prosecutor's head and bringing it down against his knee, knocking a tooth out.
"After a short conference between the Magistrates Clerk (Mr. Mellor) and the Justices, it was agreed to allow the case to be withdrawn on the terms mentioned."
- The Lancashire Daily Post, Wednesday, 6 July 1904.

"Living near the canal, and having a garden on the embankment, Mr. Jack Hillman, the ex-Burnley custodian, is having an anxious and trying time. A shed is being erected on the land between Ormerod-road and Thurston-street, and the canal for a certain distance is just now unfenced. Though persons are warned against trespassing—which they must do in order to reach the canal—there can be no doubt that it is done. The woman [Emily] Kippax, who was saved from drowning on Monday afternoon by Hillman, gained access to the water over the plot of land, and the Manchester City goalkeeper has warned off from the embankment numerous boys who were playing in dangerous proximity to the water.
"On Wednesday evening, shortly after the cessation of work at Burnley mills, and when the men employed in the erection of the shed had departed, one of two small boys playing on the towing-path fell into the canal. The screams of the other lad attracted the attention of Jack Hillman, who fortunately happened to be in his garden, and the footballer, without divesting himself of any of his clothing, plunged into the water and swam across to the boy, who was in a serious predicament. The small lad on the towing-path had tried to pull his companion out, but though he seized hold of him, he had not sufficient strength to pull his head out of the water.
"Hillman is a very short time had the lad placed on the bank, and the boy (whose name is not known, but who lives in the Hill Top district) was taken home. Hillman swam back to the opposite bank and went home for a change of clothing. Thus Hillman had had two suits spoiled in almost as many days, but he has had the satisfaction of saving two lives, and his conduct is deserving of every praise." -
Burnley Express and Advertiser, 9 June 1906.
A week later, Mrs Emily Kippax was charged for attempting suicide.

According to the 1911 census, William J. is still married to Frances, they now have one son, John. They live at 35 Thurston Street in Burnley.
His fiftieth birthday was celebrated by Burnley FC on 30 November 1920 at The Empress Hotel in Burnley.


According to the 1921 census, William J. is still married and is a football trainer for Burnley FC. Along with their only son, John, a clerk for Grimshaw Bakery, they still live at 35 Thurston Street.

  According to the 1939 register, William J. and Frances are married, still living at 35 Thurston Street with their son, John. William is a retired bricklayer.
(His wife, Frances, died in 1944)
Death Tuesday, 16 December 1952 at his home at 35 Thurston Street, Burnley, Lancashire.
aged 82 years 16 days registered in Burnley October-Decmber 1952
deathdate notes Lamming states 1st August 1955, but this was when his son, also named John, died in Burnley.


  "Ex-Burnley goalie who was capped for England.
"MR. JACK HILLMAN (83), former England and Burnley goalkeeper, died at his home, Thurston-street, yesterday. One of the best known sporting personalities of the town, he had a long and distinguished career in football. A native of Cornwall, he joined Burnley in 1890, played for the North v. South in 1899 and won international honours against Ireland the same year. Also in that season he kept goal for the English league against the Scottish League. His rise to fame started on Good Friday, 1890, when, on the failure of Manchester Welsh to keep an engagement at Turf Moor, he appeared at the Burnley headquarters in a team picked up on Fulledge Recreation Grouind and known as 'Young Pilgrims'. They played Burnley Reserve and Huillman impressed so much that he was secured by the club and played his first match for ther reserve side against Peel Bank Rovers. He kept goal for the Reserve throughout the following season and his initial senior appearance was against Linfield Athletic. In February, 1895, he was transferred to Everton and then to Dundee, from whom he was 'borrowed' by Burnley in late 1897-8 to assist the club to regain First Division status. He went back to Dundee, rejoined Burnley in October 1898, and then was transferred to Manchester City for whom he kept goal when they won the English Cup in 1903-4. The ball used in this match was displayed for many years in his shop in Thurston-street. Later he played for Millwall and came back to Burnley and became reserve team manager. Mrs. Hillman died seven years ago, and Mr. Hillman leaves a son." - Burnley Express and News, Wednesday, 17 December 1952.
Funeral Friday 10.45am, 19 December 1952 at St. Catherine's Church, and interred in Burnley cemetery, Cemetery Lane, Burnley, alongside his wife, his father and mother
Probate "HILLMAN William John of 35 Thurston-street Burnley died 16 December 1952 Probate London 13 January to John Hillman sweets confectioner.
Effects £1551 3s. 5d." [2024 equivalent: £37,201]

Douglas Lammings' An English Football Internationalist Who's Who [1990] , Lydia Smith &

Playing Career

Club(s) Played junior football in Burnley. Hillman was with Young Pilgrims FC, who played the Burnley FC reserves on Good Friday 1890, Burnley FC then quickly signed him, but then after five years, Everton FC paid a £100 transfer fee, and proceeds of their forthcoming match, on 21 February 1895. Dundee FC paid £150 on 4 June 1896.
At the beginning of the 1898-99 season, Dundee FC suspended Hillman for too many lacklustre displays, he left for Burnley FC, who, by the end of that season, were struggling to avoid relegation from the First Division. Going into their final match against Nottingham Forest FC, they needed a win. Hillman attempted to bribe the Forest players, offering them £2 each to "take it easy". At half-time he increased his offer to £5. Burnley were thrashed and were subsequently relegated. After the game, the Forest secretary wrote to the FA to complain about his activities. Hillman was summoned to a joint FA-Football League commission in Manchester. The FA were not convinced by Hillman's explanation of jesting and banned him for a season for his actions.
  Rejoined Burnley FC on 14 October 1898. Ernest Magnall then sold his goalkeeper to Manchester City FC on 25 January 1902 for a much needed £350 transfer fee. Hull City AFC wanted him in May 1905.
In the 1906 close season the FA investigated Manchester City FC's accounts for bonuses. The FA chose to make an example of City, and Hillman was one of seventeen players suspended until 1 January 1907, and banned from representing the club again. Hillman was also fined £50. The ban on playing for Manchester City was rescinded in 1908, but Hillman never played for the club again.
  Instead, Southern League side Millwall Athletic FC signed Hillman on 17 January 1907. A shoulder injury in a Cup tie prevented him from playing again in 1907 and 1908. Yet, in November 1908, it was City that granted Hillman a free transfer to join Port Glasgow Athletic FC, Hillman changed his mind, stating that he wanted to join Manchester United FC instead, but City refused to grant the free transfer. The Football League settled the issue by allowing Hillman to leave on a trial and a transfer fee of £125 when the trial period ended, so he rejoined Burnley FC on 23 December. He also played for them during the war, and played for them in charity matches up until at least 1921.

League honours
326 appearances
Burnley FC 1891-95 one hundred appearances
debut: 5 September 1891 Accrington FC 1 Burnley FC 0.
Everton FC 1895-96 35 appearances
debut: 16 March 1895 Everton FC 4 Burnley FC 2
Burnley FC 1898-1902 75 appearances
debut (division two): 19 March 1898 Luton Town FC 2 Burnley FC 0
Manchester City FC 1902-06 116 appearances
debut: 1 February 1902 Manchester City FC 1 Notts County FC 0.
last: 17 April 1906 Middlesbrough FC 6 Manchester City FC 1.
Club honours Football League Division One runners-up 1894-95 (6ᵃ), 1903-04 (28ᵃ); Third place 1895-96 (29ᵃ), 1898-99 (19ᵃ), 1904-05 (32ᵃ);
Football League Division Two winners 1897-98 (5ᵃ), 1902-03 (31ᵃ);
FA Cup winners
1903-04 (5ᵃ);
Individual honours Football League (one appearance)
Distinctions Also played cricket for Forfarshire CC in 1897 as wicketkeeper.
The ball used in the 1904 FA Cup Final was kept by Hillman, and placed on show in his shop.
Was an accomplished player at lawn bowls, reaching the finals in Burnley during the 1930's.
Height/Weight 6' 0", 14st. 0lbs [1903].


Douglas Lammings' An English Football Internationalist Who's Who [1990].

England Career

Player number One of four who became the 242nd player (242) to appear for England.
Position(s) Goalkeeper; 29th goalkeeper to appear
Only match No. 65, 18 February 1899, England 13 Ireland 2, a British Championship match at Roker Park Ground, Association Road, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland, aged 28 years 80 days.
Major tournaments British Championship 1898-99;
Team honours British Championship winners 1898-99;
Individual honours The North (one appearance, 1ᵍᵃ February 1899)
Distinctions The first Cornish player to represent England.
Died two months after Harry Chippendale

Beyond England

Became the reserve team trainer of Burnley FC from 1916, at least. He later had a sweetshop in the Thurston Street in the town. - An English Football Internationalists' Who's Who. Douglas Lamming (1990). Hatton Press, p.129.

The Numbers
parties Apps Comp
minutes Goals
GA Av.
Comp GA Clean
Sht Av
1 1 1 90 2 45 min 2 0 0% none
The minutes here given can only ever be a guideline and cannot therefore be accurate, only an approximation.
1 1 0 0 13 2 +11 0 0 13 2 100 +1
His only match was played in the British Championship and at a home venue

Tournament Record

British Championship Competition
Type P W D L F A GD FTS CS FAv AAv Pts% W/L
BC 1898-99 1 1 0 0 13 2 +11 0 0 13.00 2.00 100.0 +1
BC All 1 1 0 0 13 2 +11 0 0 13.00 2.00 100.0 +1

All Competition
Type P W D L F A GD FTS CS FAv AAv Pts% W/L
BC 1 1 0 0 13 2 +11 0 0 13.00 2.00 100.0 +1
1 1 0 0 13 2 +11 0 0 13 2 100 +1

Match History

 Club: Burnley F.C. - one full appearance (90 min) 2ᵍᵃ F.A. International Select Committee - one full appearance (90 min) 2ᵍᵃx

Age 28 trial  
one appearance - The South vs. The North, 1 February 1899;

apps match match details comp res. rundown pos

1 65 18 February 1899 - England 13 Ireland 2
Roker Park, Sunderland
BC HW saved 65 gk
2ᵍᵃrebound & shot

one of four who became the 242nd players (242) to appear for England
the third Burnley FC player to represent England
The 29th goalkeeper to play for England - fifteenth competitive
the third England goalkeeper to face a penalty-kick ~ all prevented