England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 7 March 2022



200 vs. Germany
202 vs. Scotland

Wednesday, 5 February 1936
Home International Championship 1935-36 (48th) Match

England 1 Wales 2 [1-0]

Match Summary
England Party

Wales Party

Molineux, Waterloo Road North, St. Peter's, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Attendance: 27,519;
Kick-off: tbc GMT

England - Ray Bowden (Crooks passed square to Bowden to run a dozen yards to score 38)
Wales - Dai Astley (from a Phillips pass 47), Bryn Jones (dribbled around Barker and Male and beat Hibbs with a right-foot drive 67)
Results 1930-39

Wales won the toss, England kicked-off.


Match Summary





Referee - William E. Webb

Linesmen - not known

Veterans of the Welsh team were guests of the Welsh FA, including Caesar Jenkyns, Billy Meredith, Ted Vizard, Fred Keenor, Stanley Davies, Jack Powell and George Latham.

Both teams wore black armbands as a mark of respect for King George V, who had died on 20 January 1936.

The match was preceded by the draw for the FA Amateur Cup third round.

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 4th to 5th
Colours: The 1935 home uniform - White collared jerseys, navy blue shorts, black socks topped with two white hoops
Capt: Eddie Hapgood, seventh captaincy. Selectors: The fourteen-man FA International Selection Committee, following the FA Cup fifth round draw, on Thursday, 30 January 1936.
168th match, W 108 - D 29 - L 31 - F 499 - A 188.
England Lineup
  Hibbs, E. Henry 29 27 May 1906 G Birmingham FC 25 26 GA
  Male, C. George 25 8 May 1910 RB Arsenal FC 7 0
  Hapgood, Edris A. 27 24 September 1908 LB Arsenal FC 15 0
  Crayston, W. John 25 9 October 1910 RH Arsenal FC 2 0
  Barker, John W. 29 27 February 1906 CH Derby County FC 8 0
  Bray, John 26 22 April 1909 LH Manchester City FC 4 0
  Crooks, Samuel D. 28 16 January 1908 OR Derby County FC 23 7
Bowden, E. Raymond 26 13 September 1909 IR Arsenal FC 4 1
  Drake, Edward J., injured off 46th min. 23 16 August 1912 CF Arsenal FC 3 1
  Bastin, Clifford S. 23 14 March 1912 IL Arsenal FC 13 5
  Brook, Eric F. 28 27 November 1907 OL Manchester City FC 14 8


Eric Keen (Derby County FC) and Bobby Barclay (Sheffield United FC) who was withdrawn the day before the match to play for his club in an important league match. There appears to be no replacement.

team notes:

Ted Drake injured his eye as he headed the ball early in the match, that required him leaving the field to receive attention. Just before the interval, he had knee trouble that caused him to retire.
Harry Hibbs extends his record of the most appearances by a goalkeeper.
2-3-5 Hibbs -
Male, Hapgood -
Crayston, Barker, Bray -
Crooks, Bowden, Drake, Bastin, Brook.


Age 26.3 Appearances/Goals 10.7 1.9 


Wales Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 19th to 16th
Colours: Made by St. Margaret's - Red shirts with white collars, white shorts, red socks
Capt: Dai Astley Selectors: Team selection chosen by Committee.
Wales Lineup
  John, W. Ronald 25 29 January 1911 G Sheffield United FC, England 11 16 GA
  Ellis, Benjamin 29 11 April 1906 RB Motherwell FC, Scotland 5 0
  Jones, David O. 25 28 October 1910 LB Leicester City FC, England 5 0
  Murphy, James P. 25 8 August 1910 RH West Bromwich Albion FC, England 10 0
  Hanford, Harold 28 9 October 1907 CH Swansea Town FC 3 0
  Richards, David T. 29 31 October 1906 LH Brentford FC, England 12 0
  Hopkins, Idris M. 25 11 October 1910 OR Brentford FC, England 3 1
  Phillips, Cuthbert 25 23 June 1910 IR Aston Villa FC, England 11 4
Astley, David J. 26 11 October 1909 CF Aston Villa FC, England 9 7
Jones, Brynmor 23 14 February 1912 IL Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, England 3 1
  Evans, William 23 7 November 1912 OL Tottenham Hotspur FC, England 5 1


reserves not known

team notes:

Aston Villa FC's Tom Griffiths was in the original line-up as right-back, as was West Bromwich Albion FC's Walter Robbins at inside-left, their places going to Ben Ellis and Bryn Jones.
2-3-5 John -
Ellis, Jones -
Murphy, Hanford, Richards -
Hopkins, Phillips, Astley, Jones, Evans.


Age 25.7 Appearances/Goals 7.0 1.1


    Match Report

Wales beat England in an international Association Football match at Wolverhampton yesterday by two goals to one...

...England were mastering it, and they fully deserved the lead they took after 40 minutes' play. A pass from Bastin was intercepted, the ball went loose, and Bowden pounced on it, dribbled over to the right, and sent in a shot from what seemed to be an impossibly acute angle.

The second half had hardly begun, however, before Wales equalized. An attack developed on the right and Phillips put the ball forward for Astley to shoot high and hard into the net from close range...

...Wales would not be denied, and after 20 minutes they scored the winning goal. There was much heading in the English penalty area, and finally it ended with Jones fastening on to the ball, working it, and driving it into the net well out of Hibbs's reach. - The Times - Thursday 6th February, 1936

   Football League

Football League Division Two
5 February 1936
Team P Pts
Charlton Athletic 27 36
Sheffield United 28 35
Leicester City 27 34
West Ham United 27 34
Tottenham Hotspur 27 33
Manchester United 26 31
Plymouth Argyle 27 30
Fulham 26 28
Blackpool 27 28
Doncaster Rovers 28 28
Newcastle United 25 27
Nottingham Forest 28 26
Bradford 26 25
Southampton 28 25
Swansea Town 27 25
Burnley 27 24
Barnsley 27 24
Bury 26 23
Norwich City 26 22
Bradford City 25 18
Port Vale 26 17
Hull City 25 13


Division Two matches played on 5 February 1936:

Ware, Smith (Stabb, Roberts)
9,238 (St James' Park, Newcastle)

(Barton 78)
5,053 (The Dell, Southampton)

United were without goalkeeper, Roy John, who was playing for Wales against England at Wolverhampton, but he had only played in one league game for his club in the past five months, and was sold by them at the end of the season.

20,085 (White Hart Lane, London)

Tottenham were without Willie Evans, who was playing for Wales against England at Wolverhampton.















Though Manchester United were lagging behind the leaders, they did not lose again that season, and the 19-match unbeaten run took them to the Second Division Championship and a return to the top flight after a five-year absence.


It was on 5 February 1936 that the football world was shocked and stunned by the tragic death of Sunderland's 22-year-old goalkeeper, Jimmy Thorpe. Four days earlier, he had been kicked several times on the head by Chelsea players as he shielded the ball whilst lying in the goalmouth. Though he completed the match, his injuries eventually precipitated a diabetic attack which led to heart failure. The young goalkeeper had been in exceptional form as Sunderland had dominated the league championship and he had played in their last 52 matches. Unbelievably, the FA blamed Sunderland for fielding a diabetic player, but the one good thing to come out of the desperately sad story was a revision of the FA's rules, two months later, so that players could no longer attempt to kick the ball when a goalkeeper was in possession of it.

Source Notes

Welsh Football Data Archive
Original newspaper reports
Rothmans Yearbooks
FA Yearbooks 1950-60