England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 22 September 2017

Poblacht na hÉireann


227 vs. Ireland
229 vs. Wales

Monday, 30 September 1946
International Friendly Match commemorating Silver Jubilee of FAI

Éire 0 England 1 [0-1]


Match Summary
Ireland Party
England Party

Dalymount Park, Phibsborough, Dublin
Attendance: 31,988;
Kick-off: 5.30pm BST

England - Tom Finney (slotted in a shot after Breen parried a Mannion effort 82)
Results 1946-1950

Ireland won the toss, ? kicked-off. ? minutes (? & ?).


Match Summary





Referee (-) - William E. Webb
x (-), Glasgow.

Linesmen - tbc
Teams were presented to Mr. S. T. O'Kelly.
Dr W.F. Hooper, president of the FAI, handed to the chairman of the FA, Mr. W. Brooke-Hurst, a silver cup - a replica of the Ardagh Chalice - to commemorate the first meeting with England in the Silver Jubilee year of the Eire Association.
The Continental ruling of allowing a substitute to replace an injured player prior to the 44th minute, and a goalkeeper at any time, is in place.

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

Éire Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 25th
Colours: Green jerseys with white collar, white shorts, green and white hooped socks.
Capt: Johnny Carey Manager: Team chosen by the International Selection Committee on Tuesday, 24 September 1946
Éire Lineup
  Breen, Thomas 34 27 April 1912 G Shamrock Rovers FC 3 1 GA
2 Hayes, William E., injured first half     LB/OR Huddersfield Town AFC, England 1 0
3 Gorman, William C. 35 13 July 1911 RB Brentford FC, England 12 0
4 Carey, John J. 27 23 February 1919 RHB/LB Manchester United FC, England 11 2
5 Martin, Cornelius J. 24 20 March 1923 CHB Glentoran FC 2 0
6 Walsh, William R. 26 31 May 1921 LHB Manchester City FC, England 1 0
7 O'Flanagan, Dr. Kevin P.     OR/IR Arsenal FC, England 8 2
8 Coad, Patrick 26 4 April 1920 IR/RH Shamrock Rovers FC 1 0
9 O'Flanagan, Michael     CF Bohemians FC 1 0
10 Stevenson, Alexander E.     IL Everton FC, England 2 0
11 Eglington, Thomas J.  24 15 January 1923 OL Everton FC, England 3 0


Bud Aherne (Belfast Celtic FC)

team notes:

Bill Gorman, Johnny Carey and Bud Aherne played against England for Ireland two days previous.
As was the case three days ago, Dave Walsh was the original chosen centre-forward, his place going to Michal O'Flanagan.
The O'Flanagan's were brothers.
2-3-5 Breen -
Hayes, Gorman -
Carey, Martin, Walsh -

K.O'Flanagan, Coad, M.O'Flanagan, Stevenson, Eglington.
notes: the injured Hayes played at outside-right during the second half, Carey replacing him at left-back. K.O'Flanagan went to inside-right and Coad to right-half.


Age - Appearances/Goals - -


England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 4th
Colours: The 1946 home uniform - White collared jerseys, blue shorts, red socks.
Capt: George Hardwick, second captaincy. Manager: Walter Winterbottom, 33 (31 March 1913), appointed national director of coaching on 8 July 1946;
2nd match, W 2 - D 0 - L 0 - F 8 - A 2.
Team chosen by Selection Committee headed by Arthur Drewry, following the Ireland match.
England Lineup
  Swift, Frank V. 32 26 December 1913 G Manchester City FC 2 2 GA
2 Scott, Lawrence 29 23 April 1917 RB

Arsenal FC

2 0
3 Hardwick, George F.M. 26 2 February 1920 LB

Middlesbrough FC

2 0
4 Wright, William A. 22 6 February 1924 RHB

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

2 0
5 Franklin, Cornelius 24 24 January 1922 CHB

Stoke City FC

2 0
6 Cockburn, Henry 25 14 September 1921 LHB

Manchester United FC

2 0
7 Finney, Thomas 24 5 April 1922 OR

Preston North End FC

2 2
8 Carter, Horatio S. 32 21 December 1913 IR

Derby County FC

8 3
9 Lawton, Thomas 26 6 October 1919 CF Chelsea FC 10 7
10 Mannion, Wilfred J. 28 16 May 1918 IL

Middlesbrough FC

2 3
11 Langton, Robert 28 8 September 1918 OL

Blackburn Rovers FC

2 1


Don Welsh (Charlton Athletic FC), Eddie Shimwell (Sheffield United FC), Johnny Hancocks (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC) replaced Tom Finney.

team notes:

Stanley Matthews (Stoke City FC) was selected for the starting eleven, but had to withdraw through injury and was replaced by Tom Finney from the reserves on 23 September.


Swift  -
Scott, Hardwick -
Wright, Franklin, Cockburn -
Finney, Carter, Lawton, Mannion, Langton.


Age 26.9 Appearances/Goals 3.3 1.4


    Match Report by Mike Payne

THE first-ever meeting between the two nations was played in persistant drizzle and the difficult pitch made life awkward for the players. Throughout the match, the Republic put up a terrific fight and made the England team fight all the way to gain their eventual undeserved win. Indeed, had it not been for the fact that Frank Swift was in inspired form, then the visitors could have been well beaten.

The Irish won the toss but England were soon on the attack, winning two early corners. On 15 minutes, Tom Finney set off on a brilliant dribble only to see Raich Carter's first-time shot from his pass saved well by Tommy Breen. However, the Republic were always in contention and they forced Swift into a fine save and also forced corners on both wings.

The strong tackling home defenders were upsetting the rhythm of the sometimes delightful play of the England forwards. Only a brave save by Swift at the feet of Kevin O'Flanagan saved a difficult situation before Carter, Wilf Mannion and Tommy Lawton all went close for England. At half-time the score was 0-0 with Ireland more than holding their own.

Hayes was suffering from a pulled muscle as the second half began and moved to the wing position. England were soon on the attack with Carey heading an early Bobby Langton effort off the goal-line. After 59 minutes, Stevenson was desperately unlucky not to give the Irish the lead. He beat two players in a fine run but saw his shot crash against the bar with Swift beaten.

The next 15 minutes saw the Irishmen in control. Twice Swift saved magnificently from Eglington and Coad and only a brilliant tackle by Billy Wright averted one dangerous situation. Somehow, England held on and recovered their poise.

With only nine minutes remaining they stole victory with a fine goal. Langton gave Mannion a through pass down the left. The 'Boro man cut in and unleashed an angled shot which Breen could only parry. The ball ran loose and Finney dashed in to slot it home. England had won by the skin of their teeth.

    Match Report by Norman Giller

Tom Finney saved Englands blushes with a scrambled winner eight minutes from the end as the light started to fade in this Monday evening match. It was England's first ever game against the Republic of Ireland. There was a persistent drizzle throughout the game, and conditions handicapped the ball-playing England inside-forwards. The O'Flanagan brothers and right wing partners - Dr Kevin and Michael - were outstanding for Ireland. Both were also Irish rugby internationals. Manchester City left-half Billy Walsh, playing for Ireland, had been capped by England as a schoolboy. The team was skippered by John Carey, who played for both Northern and Southern Ireland and who was to become an outstanding captain of Manchester United. Billy Wright was the most authoritative of the England half-back line, but much of his work was wasted by forwards who struggled to find a way through a defiant Irish defence.

Source Notes


Original newspaper reports
Rothman's Yearbooks
Mike Payne's England: The Complete Post-War Record (Breedon Books Publishing Company, Derby, U.K., 1993)
Norman Giller, Football Author